Vulval Lichen Sclerosis and vaginal/vulval atrophy

BSF and talkhealth are teaming up to offer an online expert clinic on lichen sclerosus.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sunsetlady09

by sunsetlady09 on Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Vulval Lichen Sclerosis and vaginal/vulval atrophy

I have been diagnosed by biopsy with VLS, I'm also post menopausal and have some vulval/vaginal atrophy. Although my flare up of VLS is subsiding, I still feel very uncomfortable due to the atrophy. Despite have Estradiol Pessaries which I insert twice weekly, my vulva is so dry and makes intimacy with my husband very uncomfortable.
I have tried several non -hormonal products..YesVM, Nessa Vaginal Victory Oil and Yes Oil based Moisturizer, the latter two products made my vulva go very red and swell up. The Yes VM product helps plump the skin, but there is still so much dryness! I'm running out of ideas and rather scared to try too many other products. Please are you able to advise me?
Many thanks
sunsetlady09

Dr Karen Gibbon

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Thu May 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Re: Vulval Lichen Sclerosis and vaginal/vulval atrophy

I'm sorry you're struggling with this symptom. I wonder if it is a mixture of physical dryness due to under treated atrophy or whether you also have irritable nerve endings which are giving you the sensation of dryness eg a chaffing, sand paper like or burning sensation. If so this may be helped with nerve ending medication such as lidocaine ointment or even oral amitriptyline. I would suggest you read up about this via the vulval pain society website www.vulvalpainsociety.org.uk
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts