Page 1 of 1

Acne scars

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:41 pm
by talkhealth
Hi. I had acne quite a lot when I was young and this has left little holes in my skin mostly around my mouth and chin. Although I have got quite used to these by now, sometimes they still get me down a bit and I try some serum or other that 'helps with acne scars' but never makes any difference. Is there anything I can do that will help? I can't even wear foundation because it gets into the holes and sticks out like a sore thumb. Please help

Re: Acne scars

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:30 pm
by Dr Derrick Phillips

There are a range of surgical (e.g. subcision, punch elevation) and non-surgical (e.g. chemical peels, CO2 laser resurfacing & microneedling) treatments that can reduce the prominence of acne scarring. Some treatments are best suited for particular types of scars. For more information about treatment options, please see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in treating acne scars.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Re: Acne scars

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:35 pm
by Thivimaru
Thank you for your question - acne scarring can be incredibly distressing so it's important to treat any active acne too.
There are treatment options for the type of scarring that you describe but the best place to start is by seeing a Consultant Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon with experience in treating acne scars - there are so many treatment options advertised, it can be hard to work out on your own which the best option is for you and an expert would be able to advise which treatment (or sometimes combination of treatments) works best for your particular type of acne scarring and skin types. Often creams are not the most effective treatment for this type of scarring.

Best wishes

Dr Thivi