Skin Cancer

talkhealth are teaming up with The British Skin Foundation, The Psoriasis Association, The British Association of Skin Camouflage (BASC) and Vitiligo Society to offer an online expert clinic on general skin conditions.

Sign in to post your questions.
3 posts
hazeld15
Report Quote

by hazeld15 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Skin Cancer

My OH had skin cancer on his nose a few years ago which was operated on. He was told it wasn't a 'serious' cancer and would probably do him no harm but it seems to have come back on the other side of his nose now. Is this anything to worry about? Someone said it was called a 'Rodent Ulcer'. Not sure what, if anything, he needs to do.

Julie Van Onselen
Report Quote

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Skin Cancer

Dear Hazel
Thank you for your post. A rodent ulcer is a lay term for a basal cell carcinoma (BCC). This is a very common localised skin cancer - it does not spread not the body. However, BCCs can be locally destructive. I would advise your OH contacts their GP and asks for an assessment and gets a diagnosis, BCCs can recur and if you have had one you are more likely to get another. However, there are other lesions, related to sun damage which are not cancer. I would also advise the use of sun screens every day and hats, so your OHs face is protected from the sun.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

Vanessa Jane Davies
Report Quote

by Vanessa Jane Davies on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Re: Skin Cancer

Hello

I concur that a high factor SPF applied daily through out the year to the already damaged skin is essential.

Once OH has been in touch with the GP for some people, a practical skin camouflage assessment with tuition and support can be very helpful.

If the appearance/colour of the scar is of concern then it would be worth while considering but only once all medical treatments have finished. Certainly in my experience this is often a great help when someone is living with or are recovering from skin cancer.

I would also recommend a great charity called Melanoma UK for up to date information and support.

All the best
Vanessa Jane Davies MEWI LCGI
Skin Camouflage Consultant
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... davies.php

3 posts