Frequent UTIs

From painful passing to overactivity, loads of us are living with urology conditions. That's why we are working with The Urology Foundation on a clinic all about peeing troubles so that you can ask your urology questions in our safe online forum.
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Frequent UTIs

For the last three years I have been getting UTI on a regular basis and frequently going to the toilet, in the last three months I have had seven UTI and have been given antibiotics when I have one and go to the toilet I have a burning pain and in the lower left hand side is also paining me. I was in agony a month ago and ended up in A&E I had a UTI and the doctor thought I might have a kidney stone, I had an X-ray but nothing showed up. I take cranberry vitamins and juice and have stopped eating citrus fruit is there anything else I can do as it’s effecting my everyday life.
Many thanks,
Karen
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Professor Marcus Drake
Report Quote

by Professor Marcus Drake on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Re: Frequent UTIs

With urinary tract infections that often, it would be worth seeing your GP to consider further assessment. There are many things that can influence UTIs, some of which depend on your age and other health aspects, so your GP would be appropriate to discuss this with

Professor Bhaskar Somani
Report Quote

by Professor Bhaskar Somani on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Re: Frequent UTIs

Recurrent UTIs can be a difficult problem.
I am sure you are doing the basics - like increased fluid intake. The scientific data on the role of cranberry and citrus fruits is not entirely convincing.

A few things that can be done by the GP surgery-
1. Urine culture
2. Ultrasound scan of renal tract with a scan of your bladder after you pass urine to check how much is left behind.

Finally, if it does not settle, it might need referral to a urologist
Professor Bhaskar Somani
Professor of Urology and Consultant Endourologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... somani.php

3 posts