Occupational asthma

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

11 posts
Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 am

Occupational asthma

Do you suffer with occupational asthma? Does your asthma gets worse when you are at work or just after you finish? It would be great to hear from anyone who has or thinks they might have occupational asthma. What are your triggers and what can be done to prevent it?

Kate99

by Kate99 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 am

Re: Occupational asthma

I suffered really badly with my asthma when i worked in an office i can only assume that it was something to do with the air conditioning as i had a never ending cycle of colds - chest infections - asthma attacks! I was almost constantly ill for 3 years when i left there i worked in a hotel, a school for disabled children and childcare jobs and have never had it as bad since.

Is this a coincidence or could it have been the office?

Asthma4life?

by Asthma4life? on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm

I do not believe this is a coincidence. I too have noticed that whenever I work in offices I tend become sick more often and suffer from chest infections which affect and trigger my asthma. I thought it was just being silly but I am glad it is not just me that seems to think this. Most offices are very dusty, especially the keyboards and monitors with which you spend most of your working day on. This is likely to be one possible trigger for asthma sufferers like ourselves. I guess the moral of the story is to stay away from office jobs if you have asthma (Or give the office a good old clean everymorning :D )

Kate99

by Kate99 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. Dust is an interesting thought. I could never work out where the cycle started, was i getting chest infections because of the air conditioning and poor immunity which then caused asthma attacks, i then wouldn't sleep because of the attack so then was tired and rundown and back at work before i had recovered which started it all over again. I had a constant cough and wheezed with every breath even on good days.

Not so much now though, fresh air seems to really help me and i do still get bad days but the chest infections have passed since leaving the office!

Kate99

by Kate99 on Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I asked a question in the online clinic on hay fever and environmental allergies about occupational asthma and they said dust too. Even if there are no carpets etc they still expect a large amount of dust mites to be present. Worth investigating i think.

AtriumLegal

by AtriumLegal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Unfortunately in the workplace there are plenty of ways to cause or bring on occupational asthma. You all seem to quote working in an office. Air conditioners are a big issue but the sheer amount of workers can be an issue too. It is hard to regulate what employers do in this situation but it is common that they will spray perfume, deodorant or hairspray which can all bring along attacks. Another issue can be cleaning products. Large offices are cleaned regularly for cleanliness but the products used can be harmful to asthma sufferers.
Your employer has to protect your health by law so if you suffer from asthma speak to your HR department. They are obliged to use policies to protect your well-being.

isabel7

by isabel7 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 am

The posts in this area are all about office jobs. I however work outside as a gardener, except when in a greenhouse. I get dreadful asthma in the summer when the pollen count is high, and when working in the greenhouses - I have read that greenhouse asthma may be due to spider mites - Pollen isn’t the only potential occupational trigger in horticulture. For example, spider mites – a pest affecting various crops grown in greenhouses and fruit orchards – can trigger allergy and asthma in greenhouse workers, farmers and children living in rural areas - reference: http://www.enetmd.com/content/occupational-asthma
Most associate occupational asthma with office and factory workers. Please do not forget the humble gardener and those who work outside.

SurgicallyClean

by SurgicallyClean on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Its called sick building syndrome....google it. the air in the office buildings is recycled over and over and the quality becomes extremely poor. Especially around 3 -5 pm as people have been there all day. It can often lead to headaches and lethargy as well as lowered immune system and therefore colds etc....

Tony_Evans

by Tony_Evans on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:54 pm

When our office was refurbished this triggered my asthma drastically, I have missed work occasionally. The company has bought an air purifier which has worked very well as it clears the air up I am able to breathe much easier. I would recommend looking into it.

11 posts