Lung age after asthma health review

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

2 posts
Hastiest

by Hastiest on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Lung age after asthma health review

Hi all,

I just got back from a respiratory illnesses review with my local nurse. I have asthma that's been severe since birth, but is well managed.The point I'd like to jump to is this:

I was told my lung age is 56!! I am a 26yo guy!!

Note - we did some "blow tests" on a little device that produced some graphs. Everything was lower than expected for my age/weight/etc. - e.g. lung capacity, sustained blow, etc.

This came as a bit of a shock, even for someone who knows their lungs aren't great. Naturally we are taking further steps and I will attend another appointment to review my progress.

I just wonder what this means in the longer-term. Is there a link (per studies) between lung age and life expectancy? Perhaps I could be more susceptible to resp. diseases. I'm left thinking I need to be very careful, but I'm not sure how (aside from the one or two at most guilty pleasure cigarettes a month.....oops.)

Any and all thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks all.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: Lung age after asthma health review

Hi,

Thank you for posting in our forum. I have shared your post on our twitter page in the hope that others from our wider social media platform may also be able to offer advice.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts