COPD

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

5 posts
wolfgirl

by wolfgirl on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

COPD

I know COPD isn't the same as asthma but the treatment seems to be so i wondered if anyone here could help.

My dad has COPD as a result of many years of smoking. He gave up about 6 years ago and found out a while ago that he had COPD. He has a preventer and reliever inhaler just like my asthma ones but i wonder what the long term stuff is with this condition? Will he get worse as he gets older, will he need oxygen??

Any info would be great.

Kathryn Dewdney

by Kathryn Dewdney on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: COPD

COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It is an umbrella term for chronic bronchitis or emphysema or both. It is usually caused by smoking and as its name suggests it is chronic which means persistent, unlike asthma, which is reversible, given the correct treatment. Some inhaler treatments are used in both asthma and COPD, but their regimes are different, e.g. Salbutamol should only be used as a rescue medication in Asthma whereas in COPD it can be used routinely. COPD is diagnosed on the result of a lung function test (Spirometry) and depending on the results is categorised as mild, moderate, severe or very severe. Most patients who have moderate to very severe COPD will be offered pulmonary rehab, which is a course of exercises, and education that has been shown to be very beneficial. Giving up smoking is the most important thing to do as it should prevent further rapid decline in lung function. It is also important to prevent chest infections. People with COPD are advised to have a yearly ‘flu jab and be covered by the one off pneumonia vaccination. People with COPD who suffer with frequent chest infections are often given an action plan advising them when to start taking antibiotics and oral steroids. All patients diagnosed with COPD should be reviewed at least yearly which will include a lung function test to check whether there has been any further deterioration and pulse oximetry which records oxygen levels. If oxygen levels are low the person will be referred for further tests to see if oxygen is required.
Recent developments in the treatment of COPD have greatly improved the prognosis of people with this condition.
Kathryn Dewdney
Asthma Nurse
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

wolfgirl

by wolfgirl on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for this detailed and informative message. I really appreciate it. My Dads COPD is mild. He has given up smoking a few years ago and he exercises frequently. Only walking but he walks about 30 mins per day roughly.

He has never had a chest infection since he has had COPD that i am aware of but i will look out for it.

Also, he has never been offered annual check ups like i get for my asthma clinic. He only goes if he has a problem with his medication. Should he be pushing for a yearly check? He does have the flu jab every year.

Thanks again.

Kathryn Dewdney

by Kathryn Dewdney on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Your father appears to be doing all the right things. If he is on his surgery's COPD register he should be flagged up for a review every 15 months.
Kathryn Dewdney
Asthma Nurse
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

wolfgirl

by wolfgirl on Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am

I have checked with him and he does have reviews. Thanks so much for your advice. I showed it to him and he was very grateful.

5 posts