How Does Smoking Affect Asthma?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

22 posts
MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Re: How Does Smoking Affect Asthma?

I knew smoking badly damages the lungs but I did not know exactly how. Your post, Latrice Sang, should be read by anyone tempted to smoke: asthma or no asthma. The biology of smoking is horrific: it is a slow form of strangulation. Anyone who understood this would not take up the smoking habit. In fact, early 20th century and onwards, scientists researched the effects of smoking and tried to highlight the dangers to the public. But the entertainment industry did not like this and encouraged young and old alike to take up the habit. It was seen as sexy, cool: the adjectives go on. But millions of people died from lung cancer. And people are still dying. I can't push forward this thought enough: cigarettes will strangle its user.

The fact my friend smokes and has asthma is even worse. I don't think she realizes the damage she is doing herself. I can't talk to her about it, but I wish she'd stop: for her own sake.

It is deeply saddening and I hope anyone gives up the cigarette habit today.

The_traveller

by The_traveller on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:33 pm

MissCandyGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am
Smoking destroys the health, full stop. Whether worsening asthma, resulting in lung cancer, turning fingernails yellow, blakening the teeth from the tar... smoking is bad news, period.

You see those old time movies with everyone smoking: years later they now have a hacking cough and some even have lung cancer. It is a habit I'd advise my worst enemy to avoid.
Mlle. Candy Girl Correct but you need to place your second paragraph in context.
I was brought up in a UK city where everything ran on coal and coal gas - we didn't have electricity but plenty of chimney and gas production smoke. and fumes The very air was polluted and the river at the end of the street was a sewer and smelt like it. . People were paid very little; cigarettes and cheap beer were a cheap way (then) to overcome the pangs of hunger and the pub had light and heat. What we call normal weight let alone obesity were completely unknown. To reach 65 years was rare.

That was then. From what I hear and read THAT situation has improved radically; coal smoke is reduced, smoking tobacco is reduced but s o m e t h i n g is making people ill even now. There is still relatively light pollution. Some young people whom I know have never been exposed to the airborne poisons we knew, have never smoked, had good diets but are still being diagnosed with COPD and treated accordingly. Not being publicly divulged if even properly examined are the side effects of manufacturing plastics (one US plant effectively reduced mens' ability to father children) and we are finding all sorts of "different" ingredients in our food or perhaps even polluting it..
One dead cheap UK school has obtained a reputation that its pupils will live much longer than the average erk. IMHO that is at least partially due to the exercise and strict discipline imposed on every pupil. I know there are a few similar schools but their 80 to 100 year medical records have not been so exhaustively examined.

A seaside city in a different continent close to where I once worked was worse - you could see the thick pollution from afar and smell it when closer. Breathing, even before I got COPD, was hard. Apparently the average age at death was under 35. No steps were being taken to rectify the situation - that was 20 years ago but I hear it is still the same. Yes, they smoke a lot.

tuscaloosatreeservice

by tuscaloosatreeservice on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 am

A little content I have read when I searched about asthma:
Smoke irritates the airways, making them swollen, narrow, and filled with sticky mucus.
This is the reason why I don't smoke.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:00 pm

[/quote]
The_traveller wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:33 pm
MissCandyGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am
Smoking destroys the health, full stop. Whether worsening asthma, resulting in lung cancer, turning fingernails yellow, blakening the teeth from the tar... smoking is bad news, period.

You see those old time movies with everyone smoking: years later they now have a hacking cough and some even have lung cancer. It is a habit I'd advise my worst enemy to avoid.
Mlle. Candy Girl Correct but you need to place your second paragraph in context.
I was brought up in a UK city where everything ran on coal and coal gas - we didn't have electricity but plenty of chimney and gas production smoke. and fumes The very air was polluted and the river at the end of the street was a sewer and smelt like it. . People were paid very little; cigarettes and cheap beer were a cheap way (then) to overcome the pangs of hunger and the pub had light and heat. What we call normal weight let alone obesity were completely unknown. To reach 65 years was rare.

That was then. From what I hear and read THAT situation has improved radically; coal smoke is reduced, smoking tobacco is reduced but s o m e t h i n g is making people ill even now. There is still relatively light pollution. Some young people whom I know have never been exposed to the airborne poisons we knew, have never smoked, had good diets but are still being diagnosed with COPD and treated accordingly. Not being publicly divulged if even properly examined are the side effects of manufacturing plastics (one US plant effectively reduced mens' ability to father children) and we are finding all sorts of "different" ingredients in our food or perhaps even polluting it..
One dead cheap UK school has obtained a reputation that its pupils will live much longer than the average erk. IMHO that is at least partially due to the exercise and strict discipline imposed on every pupil. I know there are a few similar schools but their 80 to 100 year medical records have not been so exhaustively examined.

A seaside city in a different continent close to where I once worked was worse - you could see the thick pollution from afar and smell it when closer. Breathing, even before I got COPD, was hard. Apparently the average age at death was under 35. No steps were being taken to rectify the situation - that was 20 years ago but I hear it is still the same. Yes, they smoke a lot.
Thank you for your post. I found is informative and read it with great interest. Times were so different in the past. I must say, I am glad those days are gone. I know that sounds horrible, but life back then must've been terrible.

Again, reading your post did open my eyes. I shall remember what you've said.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:06 pm

tuscaloosatreeservice wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 am
A little content I have read when I searched about asthma:
Smoke irritates the airways, making them swollen, narrow, and filled with sticky mucus.
This is the reason why I don't smoke.
My mother had been a heavy smoker, but I did not follow in her footsteps. I just don't want to suffocate. After 20 years of smoking my lungs would be extremely damaged and I'd struggle to breathe. Not being able to breathe is terrifying. Plus, without oxygen you'd be dead. That's a pretty good reason to not smoke.

Also, it just does not appeal. I suppose I am pointing this out because everyone knows someone who smokes. I am glad that person is not me.

FainaSmirnoff

by FainaSmirnoff on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm

I'll be happy to know that I have a friend who is very genuine and concern about my health. Your friend is very lucky to have you :)

LaurenCreed

by LaurenCreed on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:21 pm

If you have asthma, just please quit smoking. It will do no good to your lungs. I have asthma, though I don't smoke, some family members do and it really triggers the attack when they smoke how much more if I do.

wrongful conviction attorney

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:31 am

LaurenCreed wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:21 pm
If you have asthma, just please quit smoking. It will do no good to your lungs. I have asthma, though I don't smoke, some family members do and it really triggers the attack when they smoke how much more if I do.
I hope others take your advice seriously: smoking severely damages the lungs. Having asthma does mean you can't smoke or be around smokers and those people must respect that. Breathing problems are highly serious and even the odd cigarette can lead to lung cancer. Plus, passive smoking has killed a few people.

Please DON'T smoke: my advice to anyone. You may feel cool, but you're not. The end result of years of smoking is too awful to contemplate. You won't feel cool when lying in a hospital bed, having a machine help you breathe.

rosahampton487

by rosahampton487 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:55 am

As a result of inhaling tobacco smoke, irritating substances settle in the moist lining of the airways and cause asthma attacks. A flare-up of asthma is also more severe and harder to control with medicine because smoke irritates the airways and makes them swollen, narrow, and filled with sticky mucus.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:03 pm

Thank you for your reply, rosahampton487.

Unfortunately, my friend is still smoking. It obviously will worsen her lung condition. There isn't much I can do to stop her. I wish there was a way. She is walking to the edge of a cliff at 100MPH.

She simply won't allow me to interfere and that scares me. WHY do it to herself?

22 posts