Out of date salbutamol inhaler

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

2 posts
TheKLF99

by TheKLF99 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 am

Out of date salbutamol inhaler

I wonder if anyone has come across this one before.

I went for my inhaler today in the car and I knew it was getting close to it's expiry date, I thought before I take a dose I'll just check it's still in date as I knew it was getting close to the date.

I looked at the date and noticed it said 08/12 on the expiry date.

Ok that was ok for yesterday, but firstly does anyone know does that date mean the end of August 2012 or the beginning and also in the event that I really do need to take it before I can get a new one will it be safe to take or not really advisable.

Lampwicke

by Lampwicke on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Out of date salbutamol inhaler

Hi, I was told by my Pharmacist that the date you describe refers to a use-by date of 31st August 2012. If used after this date, there should be no harm in doing so as the efficacy of the Salbutamol is probably still good. The manufacturers tend to be cautious on the use-by date when making the product but it should outlast that date by some months. I have been using one that 'expired' in June and it certainly still gave me relief when necessary. I would, however, get a new one to keep in the car fairly soon, as I have just done.
Hope this helps you decide?
Cheers, Bob.

2 posts