i hate asthma.

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

6 posts
sarahcough

by sarahcough on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:10 am

i hate asthma.

ive had the 'condition' for 15 yrs at least.i hate it.it still gets in my way.i dont accept that i have it.its a massive pain in the back side.my friends joke they hear me before they see me.i laugh but it kills me.my sister did a charity run...i was so proud but so jealous.i want to run.!ive just got over a cold and my condition meant i coughed a lot so now i have no voice...my throat and vocal chords took a battering and are now so raw i cant speak.thats not in the contract mr asthma...leave me alone x

RachelLangley

by RachelLangley on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: i hate asthma.

I've had asthma since I was three and I'm 32 this year. I used to hate it and throw my inhalers down the stairs to break them when I was little - it never worked lol

Also, I never used to accept that I had asthma and took my ventolin all day everyday (no preventer at all) and smoked (for 15 years) which did me no good what so ever. The moment of clarity was standing at a pharmacy counter begging for an emergency inhaler and so stressed I wanted to smoke - what a vicious circle....

It's took me 27 years to accept and deal with my asthma and I'm lucky that I haven't been caught out. I've given up smoking and take all my medication regularly to keep things under control. My life is much better for letting go of the hatred and taking control. I wish I had got on with it all sooner, then I could have put all my energy into enjoying my life sooner, like I do now.

The acceptance does make it easier for me to manage my asthma and it now only takes up maybe 3 minutes of my day which is much better than annoying me 24/7

Hope you can let your hatred go it made a huge difference for me - good luck!

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm

it sounds as if your asthma is not under control if it is ruling your life like u say ,we nearly lost our son then aged 5 to an asthma attack he pulled through and is now able to play a whole football game do P.E at school only when the weather is cold and windy does it slow him down, but we do have to keep on top of his preventers and normal inhaler, and yes he had oral steriods this year when the cold snap hit early but that was the first time in years , have you been checked up this year things can change and nihalers r getting better good luck and try not to hate it,

Nendels

by Nendels on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I developed chronic bronchial asthma in my early 30s. I thought I had a severe chest infection that would not go. I am now in my 60s. i hate it too. I try and ignore it. I even go to the ladies to use my inhaler. Lots of people say asthma is in the mind .... i wish. Medication has improved over the years I have had it. I now use Flixotide and Seretide inhalers. Plus I have oxygen and nebuliser at home and I carry adrenaline injections in case I stop breathing. But to look at me, I do not look disabled, so no-one knows, and no one helps. And some days I can be almost normal (when taking oral steroids) and other days I can be extremely disabled. No-one knows what it is like to be unable to breath! Very frightening.
I am under the lcoal hospital, but I have also been under Brompton, London.

bbygirl

by bbygirl on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 pm

i hate asthma especially having to take my inhalers and people getting mad when i start coughing alot. ive had asthma for nearly 10 years now and will have it for the rest of my life. it is under control by taking a preventer and some time a reliver and i only have a few asthma attacks a year but i still get mad in the winter especially when i have trouble breathing and then also having to go and get the flu jab every year but it took me a long time to get used to the fact that i cant do nothing about it and just have to deal with it. i also recommend that everyone who has asthma to keep going for asthma checks and dont lie to the dr/nurse cause you can make yourself worse.

Kate99

by Kate99 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 pm

I know how you feel about the coughing, before my asthma was well controlled i got asked to leave a restaurant because my coughing was upsetting others. My boyfriend tried to explain it was my asthma and going out into the cold would make it worse but i was so embarrassed i sat in the toilets until it had eased off enough to leave. People are so rude!

6 posts