In hospital with asthma now home still low peak flow

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

2 posts
Jessld33

by Jessld33 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am

In hospital with asthma now home still low peak flow

I Just got out of hospital 7days ago after spending 8days in there with asthma and pneumonia. When I was admitted I was blowing 250 on my peak flow (my very best being 650). I’m still blowing anything from 320-410 my Dr doesn’t seemed to worried, where I am I should be feeling good by now with all the medication I’m taking, but it still feels like someone is pushing down on my lungs, I’m very unsure of what to do.
Theres that and when the asthma nurse came and saw me she said I was minutes away from tubes down my throat or even death, now this had effected me A LOT. I don’t know how to mentally deal with all of that plus trying to breath. Its just a lot to take in. Any tips would help a lot. thanks you.

Kathryn Dewdney

by Kathryn Dewdney on Fri May 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: In hospital with asthma now home still low peak flow

Hi Jessid,
I hope that by now you are feeling better and that your peak flow is back to normal. Have you been given a follow up appointment at the hospital? It is important that someone monitors your asthma to make sure you do not suffer a further serious asthma attack in the future.
You do not say what medication you are taking so it is difficult to comment on how well you should have responded to it. From what you have said I would presume that you would have been put on antibiotics, oral steroids and inhalers. It can take a little while for you to recover completely from pneumonia and for your peak flow to get back to normal but if you can manage 650L/m when well, 320- 410 is quite low and a cause for concern.
Have you suffered an asthma attack prior to this episode and what inhalers do you take routinely?
I would be interested to hear how you are getting on.
Kathryn Dewdney
Asthma Nurse
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

2 posts