LS and vulval eczema

BSF and talkhealth teamed up to offer an online expert clinic on Lichen Sclerosus. We know that a lot of our members are affected by vulval skin conditions, in fact, we have one of the largest lichen sclerosus communities online!
Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
Sjevans77
Report Quote

by Sjevans77 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:04 pm

LS and vulval eczema

Hi I’ve been diagnosed with early LS and eczema. The inflammation has been extreme since my biopsy in November with bright red, peeling skin.

I’ve changed my style of underwear to shorts, changed to bamboo toilet roll, and almost removed sugar from my diet. I use dermol500 for washing, use non bio laundry gel, use dermovate and cetraben, yet still the inflammation persists. My vulval skin is peeling and sore. In fact I’ve used dermol500 and dermovate every day for 7 months.

I cannot even sit down. I’m going to treat myself with OTC oral fungal medication, but I just don’t have any idea what else to do. Everything burns. I can’t even use water-based lube so my sex life is non existent.

I have no white patches and no itching so I think it’s the eczema that’s causing me the biggest issue at the moment. What else can I do? The inflammation is so extreme that My vulva has no shape, it’s just a red line where the tops of my legs meet. I am not overweight.

I’m having a vulvoscopy in March.

Dr Karen Gibbon
Report Quote

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:14 pm

Re: LS and vulval eczema

I'm sorry you're suffering so much discomfort. I personally find dermol 500 can be irritant for some women and I tend to avoid it as routine therapy. Stick to washing with cetraben and reapplying it twice a day. I don't have many patients with both LS and eczema but I do have women who find dermovate is too strong for them and irritates their skin. Dermovate is not my preferred treatment for vulval eczema. Avoid all other irritants - fragranced products, thongs, wet wipe type products and panty liners. You may get some relief from trying an OTC anti-fungal oral pill. Getting your GP to take a swab for bacteria and/or thrush can also be helpful.
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts