best emollients to use for ls

BSF and talkhealth teamed up to offer an online expert clinic on Lichen Sclerosus. We know that a lot of our members are affected by vulval skin conditions, in fact, we have one of the largest lichen sclerosus communities online!
Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
poodle24
Report Quote

by poodle24 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:06 pm

best emollients to use for ls

I have had lichen sclerosis diagnosed for over four years and use Dermovate twice weekly for maintenance. This seems to work except that if any finger touches the area I am in agony, and then have to use Dermovate for days until I feel comfortable. Using bucketful's of Sylk for intimacy usually makes things bearable. I am wondering if using an emollient daily would help and if so which do you recommend.

Dr Jane Sterling
Report Quote

by Dr Jane Sterling on Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:05 pm

Re: best emollients to use for ls

Yes - I would recommend using an emollient regularly. The richer the better, but it is important to find one that you like to use, otherwise you will not use as often as required. I usually suggest at least twice a day or up to as many times as 'after every toilet visit'. That means having some with you at all times and ideally a supply by each toilet at home.
The richest and best at protecting the skin are the ointments. These are rather like a soft vaseline and a little goes a long way as it tend to sit on the skin rather than being absorbed. There are also emollient gels and creams and these suit some people better. The main thing is to use a non-perfumed product, avoid any product that contains sodium lauryl sulphate, and use it very regularly.
I suggest that you look at the products in the Pharmacy, check out the ingredients and buy a small size to try first. Many of these can be prescribed for medical conditions.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts