Folliculitis

BSF and talkhealth teamed up to offer an online expert clinic on Lichen Sclerosus. We know that a lot of our members are affected by vulval skin conditions, in fact, we have one of the largest lichen sclerosus communities online!
Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
Katie2000
Report Quote

by Katie2000 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:16 pm

Folliculitis

Hi there, I am wondering if folliculitis could be causing symptoms that resemble LS. I had a wax and then exfoliated and have had a painful burning sensation since and several follicles that do look infected. GP mentioned LS and I am thinking folliculitis on top of this causing the burning? thank you!

Dr Jane Sterling
Report Quote

by Dr Jane Sterling on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:43 pm

Re: Folliculitis

Both waxing and exfoliating can irritate the follicles (waxing) and the surface of the skin (exfoliating) so that can make the skin feel uncomfortable - possibly burning, tingling or itching. After pulling out hairs, as with waxing, the skin inside the follicle and around the entrance can be inflamed and if damaged, infection can sometimes get in. If infected, you might need antibiotic treatment if it does not settle fairly fast. If you do not repeat hair removal, then you should be able to know if anything is still making you uncomfortable. If so, you should ask your GP for examination as the two problems look very different.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts