Steroid use and ovulation

BSF and talkhealth teamed up to offer an online expert clinic on Lichen Sclerosus. We know that a lot of our members are affected by vulval skin conditions, in fact, we have one of the largest lichen sclerosus communities online!
Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
Katie2000
Report Quote

by Katie2000 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:35 pm

Steroid use and ovulation

Hi there, I started using my steroid (eumovate) during the luteal phase of my menstrual cycle, my period came two days early, cutting my luteal phase by two days. I am now on cycle day 40 and have still not ovulated. I see menstrual health as an incredibly important biomarker and having this clearly disturbed by the steroid is distressing. I am able to pinpoint these biomarkers by following Fertility UK's training on the symptothermal method of contraception, so I monitor my cycle by cervical fluid and basal body temperature and regularly discuss my cycle with leading fertility experts. I am 30 years old and had regular cycles before steroid use. Is this something you see with steroid use? what can I expect if I continue with the steroid? What could be an alternative if I put my menstrual health first and choose no steroid? Thank you!

Dr Karen Gibbon
Report Quote

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:48 pm

Re: Steroid use and ovulation

I'm sorry this has clearly caused you considerably anxiety. However, in my experience I have never seen Eumovate or any steroid cream when used correctly as prescribed cause menstrual disturbance. Lots of other factors can cause menstrual disturbance and I would suggest exploring these before abandoning a clinically proven method of treating LS. The odd disturbance in your menstrual cycle is not an indicator of serious fertility problems in the longer term.
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts