Steroid overuse

BSF and talkhealth teamed up to offer an online expert clinic on Lichen Sclerosus. We know that a lot of our members are affected by vulval skin conditions, in fact, we have one of the largest lichen sclerosus communities online!
Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
FemaleLS
Report Quote

by FemaleLS on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:21 pm

Steroid overuse

I’ve been diagnosed with LS by biopsy 4 years ago. The last 18 months I have been flaring on and off with some weeks/months of no symptoms in between when I have been able to cut down on my use of dermovate. I don’t have any white patches or tears, my dermatologist says my skin looks normal, but I have fusing and near constant irritation and being uncomfortable. At times I wonder if it’s overuse of steroid or whether it is LS. If I stop using steroid it often gets worse. Is it ok to use dermovate daily for 2-3 months+?

Dr Karen Gibbon
Report Quote

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:39 pm

Re: Steroid overuse

Getting your LS under control and then maintaining remission is what we generally aim for. You don't say how much dermovate your using but a general guide is that a 30 gram tube should last 3-6 months. When you first use it to get control then yes, you need to use it daily for one month, alternate days for one month then twice weekly. You should also use an emollient as a soap substitute and reapply it twice a day. Your symptoms suggest that you are not really in remission so I would suggest the above treatment for you to discuss with your GP first.
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts