Bleeding after intercourse

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.
2 posts
kattdan72
Report Quote

by kattdan72 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:02 pm

Bleeding after intercourse

I'm 49, and have had symptoms of perimenapause (hot flushes mood swings). 5 years ago had a coil fitted as I was having extremely heavy periods and am anaemic. Due to weight gain and lack of self confidence my desire for intercourse with my husband has been scarce. The last few times we have, I've noticed that I have light bleeding afterwards and quite often my period would start. I've tried to take notice of the time of month that this is accuring and it's happens at any time of the month. My periods are now very light and moderately regular.
I'm not sure if this is normal as a woman gets older.

Dr Naomi Sutton
Report Quote

by Dr Naomi Sutton on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: Bleeding after intercourse

Hi, any unexplained vaginal bleeding needs to be taken very seriously so I would definitely recommend seeing your doctor so they can take a full history and perform an examination.

It may be something as simple as menopausal changes of your vagina, also known as Genito-Urinary Syndrome of the menopause, especially given your other symptoms and age. Lack of oestrogen can make your vaginal lining thin, reduce lubrication and make you more prone to bleeding with sex. However, I would definitely want to rule out more serious causes before trialing any form of HRT, especially as you are over the age of 45. The list of unexplained vaginal bleeding is long!

A good book to read if you feel that you are lacking desire is 'Mind the Gap' written by Karen Gurney. Lacking desire in a long term relationship can be complex but actually very normal, especially for women! This book has some really great advice about how to keep the desire going or to get it back on course.

2 posts