PCOS, Ovulation

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.
2 posts
prp_1575
Report Quote

by prp_1575 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:47 pm

PCOS, Ovulation

Hi,

I was just wondering what is the best way to track ovulation with PCOS and endometriosis. I use an app currently but it's not reliable as it's not exactly for people with irregular/long cycles and other gynae issues.

I also suffer with back pain that's been considerably worse since my emergency c-section and it gets worse when i'm on. Just wondering if there are any tips!

Thank you,

Carly.

Dr Naomi Sutton
Report Quote

by Dr Naomi Sutton on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm

Re: PCOS, Ovulation

Hi Carly,
Sadly if you have an irregular periods due to PCOS it may be totally impossible to predict your cycle. Depending on your reproductive wishes and other medical conditions it may be worth considering hormonal contraceptives to give you some cycle control and to reduce the pain associated with your bleeding.
The best options for you will depend on your medical history and other factors, but the COCP and the IUS (hormonal coil) are good options, and commonly used for treatment of endometriosis, although any hormonal contraceptive could be trialled as most will reduce bleeding.
If you are wanting to conceive then a contraceptive is not ideal! There are a number of things which may help pain relief during bleeding, including simple analgesia and hot water bottles but exercise and orgasms also seem to help some women!!!
It is important for women who have PCOS, and NOT on hormonal contraceptives, to shed the lining of the womb as a bleed at least 3-4 times a year. If the lining of the womb is not shed at least every 3-4 months it can put these women at an increased risk of endometrial cancer. Medication can be prescribed to induce a bleed so it is important to see your GP if you fall into this category. Not having a bleed when taking hormonal contraception, whether you have PCOS or not, is not unhealthy as the endometrium is kept thin by the hormones and prevents it building up.
I hope that helps.

2 posts