Uterine Polyp

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.
2 posts
mayarose
Report Quote

by mayarose on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:18 pm

Uterine Polyp

Hello,
On my MRI scan, it has showed that I have 1.1 cm polyp in my uterus and have been advised Hysteroscopy! I have heard that polyp can come back within few weeks to months after Hysteroscopy so there is no surety that it would go away permanent! My question is can I wait for few months to see if my polyp would go away or shrink itself before Hysteroscopy! Also is it always cancerous if the size is more than 1 cm or can be benign! Thank you!

Dr Frances Yarlett
Report Quote

by Dr Frances Yarlett on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Re: Uterine Polyp

Hi, it's difficult to comment on your individual polyp as I don't have all the information.
However, if you have been through the menopause or have symptoms of abnormal bleeding, it is always advised to remove the polyp through hysteroscopy.
While it's true that polyps can come back after removal, we also can't tell if a polyp is benign or cancerous without taking a biopsy or removing it via hysteroscopy and looking at the tissue down a microscope.
Thankfully, it is very rare that polyps are cancerous, but it is important that we don't miss these!
I can understand your worry about undergoing a hysteroscopy. Please be reassured that it is a common outpatient procedure that many women undergo, and you can request more sedation or pain relief options if you feel you need them. You will be supported through the procedure by a trained assistant who can talk you through what's happening, or just be there to squeeze your hand.
Here is some more information from the Women's Health Concern about uterine polyps:
https://www.womens-health-concern.org/w ... EC2020.pdf
This is the Royal College of Gynaecology & Obstetrics leaflet about hysteroscopy:
https://www.rcog.org.uk/for-the-public/ ... teroscopy/

I hope this helps, you can never be forced into having a procedure that you don't want BUT there are good reasons for healthcare professionals to advise that you have them.
Best wishes,
Dr Frances Yarlett

2 posts