If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.
2 posts
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Report Quote

by Lisa2020 on Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm



I was diagnosed by sight for LS. When I looked after, the skin looked exactly like pics on the internet. On the morning of my Hysterectomy and Endometriosis removal I asked if he’d be able to take a biopsy. He said he would. The biopsy he took showed Keratosis and not LS. I was seen by a colleague who agreed. This consultant did my first Endo laparoscopy. By this time I’d already put in a complaint about the Hysterectomy op as no colorectal surgeon. Since had op to remove bowel adhesions.
I’m still concerned that it could be LS as the skin looks white and looks like the skin is stuck together.
I don’t know whether to trust the opinion of Gynaecologist or could anything have been missed?
All this has happened since Feb 2020, age 51, late Endo diagnosis.
What can I do about Keratosis? I’m still only wearing loose dresses as abdomen is still sore, before all this I’d worn was trousers/jeans everyday.
Thank you.

Dr Frances Yarlett
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:01 pm
Report Quote

by Dr Frances Yarlett on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:20 pm

Re: LS

Hi Lisa,
It sounds like you're going through a tough time at the moment, I'm sorry to hear it.
"Keratosis" is a generic term used to describe a feature seen under a microscope, it isn't a diagnosis. Keratosis shows there is a chronic process and the skin where the biopsy was taken has reacted to long standing inflammation.
This could still be lichen sclerosus, especially given the examination findings.
Lichen sclerosus is often associated with symptoms including itch, pain during sex or difficulty passing urine or opening the bowels.
You can read more about it in the leaflet here: ... e=document
Lichen sclerosus is an under diagnosed condition which has a real impact on the quality of life of women who don't get treatment. Treatment with strong steroids and daily moisturisers can be life changing for women suffering from symptoms.

Given the importance of treatment for the longterm prognosis of LS, you may want to have a further examination or second opinion.
Many GPs with a specialist in women's health will be able to diagnose and treat LS.
If you want to find a specific vulval specialist (who may be a gynaecologist or dermatologist), there is a clinic finder here: ... al-clinic/

I hope this helps and you get the correct diagnosis and treatment soon!
Best wishes

2 posts