Itchy eczema

From flare-ups to treatments, everyone’s experience with eczema can be different. But, when you don’t have the basic knowledge you need to look after your skin, tailoring your treatment routine is a challenge. A great way to learn the best methods for managing your eczema is by asking our skin experts all of your questions!
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Itchy eczema

The itching of my eczema is driving me nuts – normally it has started to clear up at this time of year but not this year – any recommendations to soothe? (Paul)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Derrick Phillips
Report Quote

by Dr Derrick Phillips on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:30 pm

Re: Itchy eczema

Eczema is an itchy skin condition that can be uncomfortable during flares. Some people find that their eczema flares in the summer months due to irritation caused by sweating. Keeping cool and use of oat or urea-based moisturisers with anti-itch properties may improve your symptoms. You may also wish to see your GP who can prescribe antihistamines or topical steroids if appropriate.

professor andrew r thompson
Report Quote

by professor andrew r thompson on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: Itchy eczema

Dear Paul,

Itch can be very frustrating and trigger stress and of course scratching. This can set up vicious cycles of itch-stress & scratching-inflammation/skin damage-itch..... scratching can in some cases also become a habit and occur when there is minimal or lower levels of itch.

There's a new website out that offers some advice on managing itch see https://www.eczemacareonline.org.uk/en?language_set=1

I hope this is useful and if not do seek support from local healthcare services as holistic dermatology care may include medication review and access to habit reversal / itch management.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

3 posts