Eczema vs Psoriasis

From flare-ups to treatments, everyone’s experience with eczema can be different. But, when you don’t have the basic knowledge you need to look after your skin, tailoring your treatment routine is a challenge. A great way to learn the best methods for managing your eczema is by asking our skin experts all of your questions!
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:02 pm

Eczema vs Psoriasis

How do I know the difference between psoriasis and eczema as they both seem to look at the same when I look at images on a website?! (Lara)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Derrick Phillips
Report Quote

by Dr Derrick Phillips on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm

Re: Eczema vs Psoriasis

Eczema and psoriasis can look similar but there are ways to distinguish the two. Eczema is an itchy skin condition in which there are ill-defined red patches, typically in front of the elbows and behind the knees but can be more widespread. In skin of colour the patches may be darker or the skin may be bumpy and raised. In the hands eczema can look different and there may be small, itchy blisters affecting the palms. Eczematous skin tends to be dry due to an impairment of the barrier function, reducing its ability to retain moisture. Eczema is associated with other allergic conditions such as hay fever and asthma.

Psoriasis is a scaly skin condition in which there are well defined, salmon pink patches with thick white scale. In skin of colour, the patches are typically darker. It typically affects extensor surfaces i.e. the elbows, knees, belly button, lower back, and shins. Psoriasis can also affect the scalp, nails and joints.

2 posts