Post-COVID hair loss

Whether it’s stress, menopause, childbirth or ageing hair loss can happen to anyone, whatever your gender, for loads of different reasons. Whatever the cause, losing your locks can be a massive shock, particularly when you aren’t armed with the best medical advice to prevent further loss or nurture new growth. talkhealth have teamed up with The British Skin Foundation to bring you the best advice for looking after your hair.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 am

Post-COVID hair loss

I had covid a few months ago and have noticed my hair falling out - I have looked this up as a common symptom but can't see what I should be doing about it or is just wait for it to come back?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Alia Ahmed
Report Quote

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:32 pm

Re: Post-COVID hair loss

Thank you for this question. You are right it is a common issue that we are seeing. If it is telogen effluvium (increased shedding after your body has experienced a significant 'stress', e.g. COVID19), then it is likely the hair will grow back, but it take 3-6 months to see this. Please consider seeing a dermatologist if your hair does not recover as there are many other types of hair problems that can become more obvious after a period of illness. Your GP is likely able to look at common deficiencies to ensure these are not a contributing factor (e.g. low iron, thyroid dysfunction).
Regards
Dr Alia
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts