Is it hereditary?

Sign in to post your questions.
2 posts
squidge
Report Quote

by squidge on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:30 am

Is it hereditary?

Can bad sleeping be in the genes? Myself, my brother, my mum and at least 3 of my 4 children have difficulty sleeping. I know for myself and my brother life events may play a part in this but for so many of my bloodline to have issues with sleeping, surely this must be more than a coincidence. I know this is about sleep for women but 3 of the 6 I mention are female. Also I rarely sleep unless I take amitryptaline and I know there are links to dementia with it and this concerns me.

lisaartis
Report Quote

by lisaartis on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:52 pm

Re: Is it hereditary?

Hi

Thanks for your question. There has been some research to suggest that some sleep disorders can have an established genetic basis - including chronic primary insomnia.

You won't experience insomnia because of your genes but you are more likely to genetically predisposed to having insomnia. It is estimated that heritability accounts for 31% to 58% of your likelihood of experiencing insomnia.

Have you ever been offered Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia as a treatment for your sleep issue? If you haven't, it would be worth you asking your GP for a referral. It is highly effective.

Regarding your concerns over taking amitryptaline I would advise you to speak to your GP who may be able to alleviate any worries you have or suggest alternatives.
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts