Infant Eczema

talkhealth and The British Skin Foundation are teaming up to bring you an online expert clinic all about Children's Skin.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:28 pm

Infant Eczema

Hi, my 14 month old has been diagnosed with eczema and I'm currently in the process of trying to find certain triggers in the hope that it will reduce the occurrence of flare ups. Really hoping this is successful! But I was just wondering what's the best way of treating eczema in a baby? Are there certain lotions/creams that I should be using, or even avoiding? Thank you (Sarah)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Penelope Pratsou
Report Quote

by Dr Penelope Pratsou on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:08 pm

Re: Infant Eczema

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for posting. The primary cause of eczema in this age group is a genetic predisposition, however certain factors such as the cold weather and other irritants can make it worse. I would avoid harsh or fragranced products in the bath or as leave on products, and fibres such as wool against the skin. Some parents go for natural creams and ointments but unfortunately they are more heavily -albeit naturally!- fragranced and can cause irritation and sometimes allergy. Equally, nut oils on the skin are best avoided as well to avoid allergies.

I would recommend an eczema specific wash and bath oil, as well as bland emollients (cream, gel or ointment) that can be prescribed or obtained over the counter. In addition, despite their young age, we would normally recommend a mildly or moderately potent topical steroid during any eczema flare up (from day 1 until fully cleared); emollient creams are not usually enough as they won't treat inflammation.

I hope this information helps.
Dr Penelope Pratsou

2 posts