Nappy Rash

talkhealth and The British Skin Foundation are teaming up to bring you an online expert clinic all about Children's Skin.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Nappy Rash

I have a 13 month old daughter that over the last couple of months seems to be getting more and more frequent bouts of nappy rash. I have tried numerous creams but nothing seems to keep it away. Can you give any advice? There is so much on the market that I feel I should be able to sort it myself without going to our doctor but would just like some much needed guidance please! Thanks (Jodie)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Mary Sommerlad
Report Quote

by Dr Mary Sommerlad on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:23 pm

Re: Nappy Rash

Nappy rash can be quite bothersome. I would recommend you see your GP to ensure your child doesn’t actually have Eczema or Seborrhoeic Dermatitis- these conditions give a “nappy rash” like appearance but need prescription medication to properly treat. Assuming there is no underlying medical condition I would recommend the following:
- use cool water and cotton wool pads to clean the happy area, avoiding wet wipes altogether
- have a short (5minute maximum) bath every evening to ensure there is no residual faeces left overnight
- ensure the bottom and vulva are patted totally dry after each nappy change. Even a slightly damp bottom can promote/ exacerbate nappy rash
- use a very thin amount of barrier cream after each nappy change. Too much cream will affect how urine is absorbed by the nappy leading to worsening of nappy rash. Use barrier creams that are designed for the nappy area
- use high performance nappies and change soiled nappies immediately
- avoid lots of fruit juices and other foods that can increase loose stools
Dr Mary Sommerlad
Consultant Dermatologist

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... -sommerlad

2 posts