Post surgery scar

Sign in to post your questions.
3 posts
supernanny
Report Quote

by supernanny on Wed May 10, 2023 6:25 am

Post surgery scar

Hi, 2 months ago I had a right hemi colectomy through extended keyhole surgery, My wound(s) are healing nicely, closures were made using glue. Most of the wounds are flat and neat but the one around my tummy button is still raised & bumpy. I have been using wound spray up until now but wondered if it's safe to start using Bio oil? Thank you

Dr Penelope Pratsou
Report Quote

by Dr Penelope Pratsou on Thu May 11, 2023 9:47 pm

Re: Post surgery scar

If your wound has healed then it should be safe to start massaging the scar with either bio oil or any emollient of your choice, for 2 minutes twice daily. This can encourage collagen production and allow the scar to heal nicely.

The other thing to consider is whether a truly lumpy ie keloid scar is forming in that area. We would then consider treating the scar differently, for example with topical or intralesional steroids. If in doubt do seek advice from your surgical team, GP or a dermatologist.

Dr Mary Sommerlad
Report Quote

by Dr Mary Sommerlad on Thu May 11, 2023 10:27 pm

Re: Post surgery scar

You may find that although Bio oil softens your skin it may not flatten the scar. There is no harm in using Bio oil. If the scar is raised or itchy or growing beyond the original scar site (post op site) you may want medical intervention in the form of prescription topical or injection treatments.
Dr Mary Sommerlad
Consultant Dermatologist

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... -sommerlad

3 posts