Abdominal Surgery

Sign in to post your questions.
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Wed May 10, 2023 9:26 am

Abdominal Surgery

I had abdominal surgery in October last year and the vertical scar by my belly button is very pronounced and puckered. Is there anything that I can do to help it to flatten/reduce down or will it stay raised like this?

Shirley
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Derrick Phillips
Report Quote

by Dr Derrick Phillips on Thu May 11, 2023 6:23 pm

Re: Abdominal Surgery

Dear Shirley,

Many thanks for your question. It sounds like you are describing a hypertrophic scar, which is an elevated scar that remains within its margin. Massage with a moisturiser for two minutes twice a day can help to improve the appearance. There is also good evidence for the use of silicone sheets/scar gels to flatten such scars. For large scars, I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with an interest in scarring. They will be offer a range of treatments (e.g., steroid injections, steroid tapes, laser treatments, re-excision etc) depending on the characteristics of the scar.

Dr Mary Sommerlad
Report Quote

by Dr Mary Sommerlad on Thu May 11, 2023 10:25 pm

Re: Abdominal Surgery

Yes it is possible to improve the appearance of scars. Dermatologists and Plastic surgeons can use a variety of modalities to improve the appearance. Yours may be amenable to steroid injections. Please see a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for an opinion.
Dr Mary Sommerlad
Consultant Dermatologist

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... -sommerlad

3 posts