Weight

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

3 posts
sandra j1973

by sandra j1973 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Weight

I am twelve weeks post op ( bilateral mfpl knee surgery in both knees) and am struggling with my weight. I have always been quite slim 7 - 7 1/2 stone and am now just under 9 stone at 5ft 4 I feel like a big round ball and as I am recovering from surgery it is hard to be mobile. I currently take 30mg mst morning and night with 6-8 paracetamol and various 5ml of oromorph a day. Forthe two years I was waiting for surgery I lived in Tramadol and cocodamol but did not gain any wait (and I am on Citalopram).
I have no energy, no confidence but am putting on a good front. I attend hydrotherapy physio sessions weekly so I am getting more mobile but it is painful and tiring however I find it hard to sleep.
Could it be the painkillers that are making me put the weight on, I haven't spoken to my GP as its so hard to get an appointment. Is there anything you can suggest that can help me.
Thank you Sandra

Rod Grundy

by Rod Grundy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Weight

Hi, Sandra,

Thanks for contacting us.

In answer to your question regarding the pain killers, it is unlikely that this is causing the weight gain; weight gain is not a known side effect of MST tablets, Oramorph Liquid or paracetamol. Are you still taking Citalopram, this is a more likely culprit as weight gain is a common side effect of taking Citalopram.

May I ask have you taken any steps to help manage your weight? Obviously keeping mobile must be a real challenge after your surgery but you have taken a very positive step of attending hydrotherapy sessions. I was thinking more of dietary changes; have you modified your diet in anyway to manage your weight and if so have you seen any positive results? My advice would be to go and see your local pharmacist to discuss this in more depth, they are well versed in weight management and advising on healthy eating.

If you require any further information please contact me.

Best wishes,

Rod.
Rod Grundy
Internet Pharmacy Manager, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... grundy.php

sandra j1973

by sandra j1973 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: Weight

Thanks for your advice, I will discuss it further with the doctor.

3 posts