Crash diets

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

15 posts
talkhealth talk

by talkhealth talk on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Crash diets

How many of you have made a New Years resolution to lose weight? If you are planning on following a trendy diet such as the Dukan or Atkins diet be prepared that they are unlikely to last more than 15 days and you could end up bigger!

A new study conducted by Hovis Wholemeal based on 2000 women found that eating a balanced diet was far more effective for losing weight in the long term than crash diets. Add an increased amount of exercise into the mix and results will be even better according to cyclist Victoria Pendleton.

So the advice from the experts is if you need to lose weight do it in a healthy, enjoyable and sustainable way. But is it that easy? Have you tried any of the celebrity diets? What worked for you?
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

tillysmum

by tillysmum on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Crash diets

I don't believe in crash diets - I think they must be bad for your health overall.

KarenLamb

by KarenLamb on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm

well.......
as my point of view A diet designed to produce a dramatic decrease in body weight in a short time. Losses may be as high as 3 kg (more than 6 lb) in the first 3 days, but much of this loss is water rather than fat. A crash diet is a diet which is extreme in its nutritional deprivations, typically severely restricting calorie intake. It is meant to achieve rapid weight loss and may differ from outright starvation only slightly. It is not meant to last for long periods of time, at most a few weeks......

nil26

by nil26 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:57 am

There are number of diets are available in the market, but sometimes that diets can also show the side effects on your body. Instead of that, try to take balanced diet plan and daily exercise. Crash diet is also a diet but it's bad for your health.

baltazra

by baltazra on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm

A crash diet is a diet which is extreme in its nutritional deprivations, typically severely restricting calorie intake. It is meant to achieve rapid weight loss and may differ from outright starvation only slightly. It is not meant to last for long periods of time, at most a few weeks. Importantly, the term specifically implies a lack of concern for proper nutrition. Crash diets are also known as "fad diets" and are often seen as quick fix solutions.
Moodoff Day

mark

by mark on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

When looking into Diets i would direct people to reseach the work of William L Wolcott, researching, development and refining the science of Metabolic Typing.

Metabolic typing determines the bodies optial requirment of macronutrient ratios - Fats, Carbohydrates and Proteins - It looks at the bodies abiliity to matabolise fats, carbohydrates and proteins. You will find that you are one of teh 3 main types - Protein Type, Carbohydrate Type or a Mixed Type.

When you look at the regions of the world and the native diets they have (Alaskan Eskimos, South American tribes, Europeans etc) they all have a different diet due to the land, weather, and the availability of such nutrients. As you are what you eat, the people are the land, so if they eat the foods that are not native they usually become sick...

Dr William Coda Martin, When is food a food and and when is it a posion? (1957) Sugar is not only a drug but a poison. (Do the native tribes have fillings :?:)
A tea spoon of sugar is 3ft of sugar cane!

Ok Diet peoples i have some Bed Time stories for you...

Weston A. Price - Nutritional and Physical Degeneration ISBN 978-1-84902-770-0 A comparison of modern diets to primative and the effects they have.

Francis M. Pottenger - Pottengers Cats, a study in nutrition. ISBN 978-0-916764-06-7 nutritional degeneration passed down by cats linked to humans paralleled to Weston A. Price.

Lady Eve Balfour - The Living Soil - ISBN 1-904665-08-x This book inspired the foundation of the Soil Association in 1946.
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

izza

by izza on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 am

God knows how much I've been working so hard to go on a diet, it's actually my 6th month right and I'm happy that I lose a lot. Right now my waistline is already 27" and I still go on my diet to maintain my weight right now.
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL advertising removed - see forum rules

mark

by mark on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 am

Its friday,....

Dont be tempted by the flyers... :o

Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

JB1987

by JB1987 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree that crash diets don't work - I've tried shakes, tablets and other fads and failed.

mark

by mark on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

What fad diets have you tried in the past? How long for? and why is that your opinion now?

The only good thing i can draw from fad diets is that people tend to look at what they are eating more and this education in regards to what they are putting in thier mouth is a possitive life choice. The first stage of digestion is not in the mouth but in the mind. :)
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

15 posts