Hello from a concerned mum

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

3 posts
tillysmum

by tillysmum on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello from a concerned mum

Hi - I'm new here. I have a 14 year old daughter who I think is displaying the signs of an eating disorder. Hoping to find other parents or people who have overcome an eating disorder to talk to.

JB1987

by JB1987 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: Hello from a concerned mum

Hi Tillys Mum - I'm new here too. Just wondered what sort of eating disorder your daughter suffers from - is it over eating or under eating. It's good to see you're concerned - my Mum is very overweight so really doesn't see I ahve a problem - dont' get me wrong she cares for me but I need some help and encouragement to lose weight which I'm not getting. Hope you're daughter's OK. JB

peajay

by peajay on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Hello from a concerned mum

Hi Tillys Mam
My 15 year old Daughter has always been very thin since birth, So when she started missing an odd meal here and there i did not heed to much on it at first,, then i noticed a few weeks ago during a afternoon to the movies we went for a meal after, my hubby me and daughter, that she did not touch a single bite,,
This sent a billion alarm bells ringing, So we sat down and had a long heart to heart,, god i learnt some mind blowing fact i had never even noticed before,,
I and my hubby are always worried about our weights and we had projected this onto our Daughter without even noticing,, When i stepped back to look at the whole picture i had introduced the whole weight issue into my own home ,, I kept the scales in the dinning room ! ! I only purchased low kcal foods !! I read dieting books !! my laptop had loads of links to diet related sites !! I watched dieting shows !! So that moment life changed for the 3 of us!!
Scales are well and truly gone,, my clothes tell me how im doing i;e to tight to lose,,, cupboards are now stocked with a well balanced diet of healthy and few lets call them treats,,,gone are the diet links and mags,,health tips only ,,
We also talked about the future to her and what she wants for herself , she wants to be a midwife so explaining to her that her own health and well being is very much a part of her future carer choice has helped us all deal with this issue,
Good luck and try to keep the subject light and open, I think if you call it a problem then it becomes one, and most of all trust her x x x

3 posts