Is Diet Or Exercise Better For Weight Loss?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

12 posts
leekarven

by leekarven on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Is Diet Or Exercise Better For Weight Loss?

Weve been conditioned over the years to believe that the best way to lose weight is to sweat it off with rigorous exercise at the gym, and be mindful of what we eat. If that were entirely correct, we wouldnt be tipping the scales of obesity as 45 million people spend more than $19 billion annually on gym memberships, a number thats doubled over the past 20 years. The problem lies with the fact that human metabolism is highly efficient, and any excess calories are immediately stored as fat.

More Exercise Leads to More Eating

Despite our best intentions, we eat far more calories than we need at any given time to fuel our muscles and cells. Exercise does burn additional calories, but for many people it pales in comparison to the quantity of food they consume. As you exercise, your body sends the signal to eat more so youll have enough energy reserved for the next workout. Your next meal or high carb snack will be larger than necessary to compensate, and the excess calories are efficiently stored for future use.

Exercise is Not an Efficient Weight Loss Tool

Research generated by the Mayo Clinic and reported in Time Magazine concludes that exercise is a very inefficient way to drop excess pounds. Researchers found that intense exercise may actually cause weight gain, as test participants consumed more calories after exercise than they burned, resulting in leftover calories which the body typically stores as abdominal fat. Its important to understand that exercise is still an essential part of human health, but should not be your primary weight loss tool.

Calorie Restricted Diet Delivers Weight Loss Results

The best strategy to drop weight is to eat a calorie restricted diet with 25% fewer calories than you presently consume each day. For many, this type of restriction will seem severe, so youll need to slowly work up to that level by eliminating 100 calories each day for a week. The next week, cut out another 100 calories until you hit the 25% reduction level. Most moderately active women should eat 1200 to 1500 calories per day, and men should target 1500 to 1800 calories to see significant weight loss results.

Exercise is Still Important

Regular physical activity is still vitally important, as multiple studies confirm that those who sit for 8 hours a day are most likely to develop heart disease, diabetes, cancer and die early from any cause. Stay active, and if you have a desk job that requires you to sit for long periods, get up and move around at least once every half hour. Establish a set amount of time for exercise into your daily schedule, at least 30 minutes on most days. Walking is a great activity which keeps your heart pumping and your muscles moving, but dont plan to eat more afterward to compensate.

People begin exercising or sign up for a gym membership as a way to burn off excess fat, and subconsciously believe this will allow them to continue eating more calories than they need. For most individuals, the calories burned through moderate exercise dont compensate for the super sized appetites experienced after a workout. While regular physical activity and stress reduction are required for optimal health, calorie restriction is by far the most effective weight loss tool.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unauthorised URL removed, check forum rules.

sonakor788

by sonakor788 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Is Diet Or Exercise Better For Weight Loss?

thanks for shared this informative post with us and i am eating too much but also work out with that so i can lose my weight by doing this.

CarlosCont

by CarlosCont on Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am

Completely Agreed with the information of @leekarven.
In the weight loss pyramid at the top (least) comes exercise,then Weight training, and then (major) comes a healthy Diet! So Diet comes first of all.

degokerta

by degokerta on Fri May 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Both are essential to weight loss, for proper weight loss, you cut your caloric intake and increase your daily burn, one without the other can lead to short term weight loss but does not provide best long term solution ;)

willieTK

by willieTK on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Use both to get the most for weight loss. You can diet all you want but sometimes the pounds will not fall off if you are not exercising.

mackkkk1

by mackkkk1 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:43 pm

My fat loss is slowing down to the point that it doesn't exist anymore.
I am at 1500 calories per day, intermittent fasting. I would like to increase my metabolism so that when I go back on 1500 calories I could continue losing weight again.--------------------------------
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unauthorised URL removed, check forum rules.

emilycarter

by emilycarter on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

To lose weight, both are essential Diet and Exercise. In fact, our energy reserves used during exercise could play on our taste for particular foods. But there is no evidence that exercise-induced food preferences. In the longer term, physical activity would, however, associated with a preference for carbohydrates. But it is unclear whether these changes are determined by biology or psychological reasons. So take up sport, even suddenly, not to transform eating behaviors.

lucasmoore

by lucasmoore on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 am

Ok, so that's why I get so hungry when I exercise. Excellent explanation. Thank you. I also want to put one point here that having a sound sleep also contributes weight loss.

frederickwilfred

by frederickwilfred on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:52 am

I think that both of these are appropriate for losing one's weight. i am 23 years of old and now my weight is around 63 kg. I am so tensed about my wealth and weight and for this reason, I am preparing myself to lose my weight.

Sally Heep

by Sally Heep on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 am

Eat Smart -

Weight loss is generally 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise.

It's true that low-carb diets tend to be the most popular because they offer the fastest results, but they can be difficult to sustain. I recommend striving for a more balanced plan that focuses on fruits and veggies, lean proteins and whole grain carbs. And never cut calories too low (this causes your metabolism to slow, and you can start losing muscle mass).

12 posts