My Stools

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

5 posts
audnay57

by audnay57 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 am

My Stools

Why doesn't my stools flush away, I have always got to stand in the bathroom, and flush the loo several times and push loads of loo roll into the loo to try and get it to flush. I find this very embarrassing. Why does it happen.

Thank You.

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 am

Re: My Stools

Hello audnay57,

Thank you for your interesting question - this is a question I have never been asked before so I have done a bit of research.

Firstly, I'd like to reassure you that floating stools are usually nothing to be worried about. Can I ask, have you changed your diet at all? Do you suffer from any medical conditions, intolerances or malabsorption conditions? These can affect the structure of the stool, causing them to float.

The most common culprit is excess gas. Foods that commonly cause gas include those that contain large amounts of sugars, lactose, starch, or fibre. Examples from the NHS choices website include beans, onions, cabbage, apples, soft drinks, and sugar-free (or sorbitol containing) products.

There is a good chance that your floating stools are caused by your diet. Have you ever kept a diary of the foods that you eat and your associated bowel movements? This may help you identify trends in order to eliminate the foods that cause this problem for you. If you cannot find a reason behind this problem, I would suggest a review with the GP who may be able to test your stool to determine any underlying cause.

I hope this helps,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

audnay57

by audnay57 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Justine

I think that you are right.
I was bought up in a childrens home from a very young age and we had to eat everything if we like it or not, my worst was onions, then sprouts, macaroni cheese, One day we had Macaroni cheese, boiled onion a whole onion, and boiled potatoes. Well normally you would take a mouthful of what you liked with a bit of what you didn't like. Well with that dinner, I couldn't do that. and I was sick on my plate, it was given back to me for my Tea, my breakfast the next morning, dinner and tea, I refused to eat and just went hungry, well who would eat their own sick on the dinner. Well after I refused it after that tea I got the biggest hiding ever and sent to bed. I always vowed I would eat what I wanted when I wanted. That put me on a round a bout of food diets, I ate ham sandwich and yogurt for my tea for years, at the moment its chopped up fruit, and then a yogurt. I have shredded wheat for breakfast, and a biscuit in the afternoon, and then maybe a tangerine, half an apple, maybe 6 or 7 grapes, 3 or 4 strawberries, 2 pieces of kiwi, a slice of pineapple, sometimes with melon, then I have a yogurt at supper, I have a piece of cake. I managed to lose a bit of weight as I was wearing size 22 clothes, then 20, now 18, but some are abit big on the waist, depending on the make of clothes. I would like to get rid of some more weight I think. So I do think its my diet, and I expect you do. I am on quite a bit of medication also mainly pain relief. The floating has been more recent .

Thank You
Audrey.

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 am

Hello Audrey,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me Audrey, I appreciate it is not always easy to offer such personal information.

As you are starting to identify, this problem may be linked to your diet. I would strongly recommend keeping a food diary for a few weeks and making an appointment with the GP to review your symptoms.

You mention that this problem is more recent. Can you think of anything that has changed, either in your diet or with your medication to coincide with this? Do you have any other symptoms at all?

Your local pharmacy may be able to review your medication and diet for you. They may also be able to support your weight loss with helpful, friendly advice. Why not pop in and see them this week?

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

audnay57

by audnay57 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks Justine, I will have a word with my local chemist, he is very good.

so thank you
Audrey.

5 posts