IBS and Dieting

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

2 posts
Harrison1

by Harrison1 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:59 pm

IBS and Dieting

I have had IBS for over 20 years and suffered a lot but I am now on medication which relaxes my bowel and I do not have much trouble with IBS thankfully. I am having trouble losing weight and need to know if IBS is stopping me losing weight or is it just my metabolism. I also eat small amounts of food and feel full very quick so not sure how I am overweight. I seriously would like to lose some weight as I want to improve my fitness and be slimmer as people who do not know me probably think I eat a lot when I do not and it is so annoying

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:37 am

Re: IBS and Dieting

Dear Harrison1,

Thank you for your question.

I am glad you have managed to get your IBS under control after suffering with it for so long.

In order to advise you effectively, I would like to know how much you weigh, or if you know your body mass index (BMI), that would be better. Could you also explain to me what you eat, when you eat and how much? What types of drinks do you have during the day?

You sound very committed to a healthy living lifestyle, which is great for your health. Do you take regular exercise? Do you smoke at all or drink alcohol?

The answers to all these questions will help provide a rounded picture of your lifestyle. Why not visit your local pharmacy who may offer a weight management service? By discussing these things together they can help you create an action plan to reach your goal. The pharmacy provides regular support and guidance and can even measure your weight as your go.

Please feel free to come back to me with the answers to these questions and I will try to help you further. However if you would prefer to discuss it confidentially, face to face, try visiting your local pharmacy.

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts