Driving help

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

3 posts
noobieloon

by noobieloon on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:00 am

Driving help

Hi, first post, reaching out as I am desperate

I’m 6ft 2in tall and 46 stone! I’m still working in a job I’ve had for 20 years but I’ve been sent home as work are concerned that I am too big to be driving company car. I have a Kia Sportage and they did a driving risk assessment and they have told me the car is unsuitable because the steering wheel is against my abdomen and if the airbag went off, it could do some serious damage. I really don’t want to lose my job but they have said they would change my car to a van or something. Does anyone out there know of a vehicle that has good leg room and a steering wheel that can be moved so it’s not facing my tummy? I fear if I lose my job, that would be it for me

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 am

Re: Driving help

Hi noobieloon,

Thank you for posting on the forum. Sorry to hear of your concerns about finding a suitable vehicle for your work. Hopefully other members who have been in a similar situation will be able to advise you soon.

It may be worth contacting one of our charity partners called 'Weight Concern' who could possibly point you in the right direction. Please find the link below:

http://www.weightconcern.org.uk/

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:19 pm

Re: Driving help

noobieloon wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:00 am
Hi, first post, reaching out as I am desperate

I’m 6ft 2in tall and 46 stone! I’m still working in a job I’ve had for 20 years but I’ve been sent home as work are concerned that I am too big to be driving company car. I have a Kia Sportage and they did a driving risk assessment and they have told me the car is unsuitable because the steering wheel is against my abdomen and if the airbag went off, it could do some serious damage. I really don’t want to lose my job but they have said they would change my car to a van or something. Does anyone out there know of a vehicle that has good leg room and a steering wheel that can be moved so it’s not facing my tummy? I fear if I lose my job, that would be it for me
I do not know if they make cars and vans specifically for big people. Work on losing weight, you will live longer. Do a lot of walking and jogging as a big guy, and you will be more healthier and smaller.

3 posts