Weight loss on anti depressants

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

8 posts
dandydindog

by dandydindog on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Weight loss on anti depressants

For two years I was on citalopram 20mg for severe depression because of my weight. I am classed as morbidly obese. Over this period I noticed that my weight was creeping up and up. Although I had not changed eating patterns and had increased my physical activity ie swimming and gym sessions. I did some research on the Internet and lost of people say that while on citalopram there weight increased and it was impossible to lose weight while on the meds. I checked my weight I could obviously see and feel myself expanding but I have put on five stone. before I Was on the meds My weight had creeped up approx half a stone each year before that. I also read that it can take many months for your metabolism to 'settle down'

I went cold turkey In January and have been off them from then (consult your dr before doing this) i felt so strongly about this that I put up with the side effects all which I feel have gone now. The only problem is my weight is still not shifting. I swim and do my gym session these make me feel fitter but I just would like some advice with any other help I may have missed so far I'm considering doing a very low calorie diet, and also to see if anybody else on here is experiencing or been through a similar situation?

Cheers

helinbert

by helinbert on Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: Weight loss on anti depressants

The fat loss is the best procedure to reduce over weight and to keep our boody healthy. Many of the experts are suggesting to do daily exercise and morning walk. We shouldn't take junk food items more. We should take fresh fruit juice. It will support our body very much, and should try to avoid taking the drugs and for refreshment we may visit natural places in leisure times. The food items such as fruits and other salad that contains the water levels high should be taken mostly.
Last edited by admin on Wed May 29, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL's advertising products removed - see forum rules

JudithJohnson

by JudithJohnson on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:00 am

Yes, many antidepressants cause weight gain and other side effects. But you can lose weight by exercise and balanced diet. I will suggest try appetite suppressant diet pills that help you prevent overeating and support your weight loss program.

Annaelmer

by Annaelmer on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:07 am

try to do exercises for weight loss.

markfitfromwithin

by markfitfromwithin on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 pm

some anti depressants can cause weight gain. switching drugs may make difference.
exercise will help and minimizing carbohydrates. lots of water and enough sleep.
hope you'll feel fine.

saleem000

by saleem000 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:41 am

1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is regarded as one of the best home remedies for fighting obesity. It is highly rich in fibre, vitamins like vitamin B and C and minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus. Your digestion is improved as well as it helps in detoxification. It is important to know that healthy digestion is an essential pre-requisite for weight loss because it helps your body to get the nutrients required to burn fat. The citric acid that is present in lemons is very effective in burning fat. Therefore, you make lemon juice a part of your daily diet.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is another very popular and effective home remedy to reduce excess weight. It protects you from developing obesity and the use of vinegar as part of your healthy diet can in the long run help in weight loss and diabetes You should have up to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a day. And remember to not exceed this amount because may reduce your blood potassium levels.

3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be useful in treating obesity because it stimulates your metabolism, increases energy consumption, and also mobilizes unused fat in the body. It is helpful because it contains more than 75 different biologically active substances. Aloe vera has natural collagen proteins that make the body work harder in order to absorb the proteins. Also, it greatly helps in removing toxins from the digestive system and colon.

4. Green Tea
Green tea is arguably the most popular natural remedy for weight loss. It is rich in polyphenols like epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), epigallocatechin, and epicatechin gallate which help in slowing down weight gain by limiting fat absorption and increasing the body’s ability to use fat. You should drink about three to four cups of green tea daily to fight obesity.

5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper helps in controlling obesity and greatly aids in weight loss. It contains the capsaicin that stimulates your body to burn fat and increase your energy expenditure. Also, it stimulates your digestion and suppresses excess appetite caused by the malabsorption of nutrients in the body.

If you need a nutritionist you can check the hospital list where many good nutritionist practices.
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed

arvbuttar

by arvbuttar on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:01 am

helinbert wrote:The fat loss is the best procedure to reduce over weight and to keep our boody healthy. Many of the experts are suggesting to do daily exercise and morning walk. We shouldn't take junk food items more. We should take fresh fruit juice. It will support our body very much and should try to avoid taking the drugs and for refreshment, we may visit natural places in leisure times. The food items such as fruits and other salad that contains the water levels high should be taken mostly.
Great information. It is important to avoid junk food and alcohol products to lose weight.
Thanks.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:32 pm

dandydindog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 pm
For two years I was on citalopram 20mg for severe depression because of my weight. I am classed as morbidly obese. Over this period I noticed that my weight was creeping up and up. Although I had not changed eating patterns and had increased my physical activity ie swimming and gym sessions. I did some research on the Internet and lost of people say that while on citalopram there weight increased and it was impossible to lose weight while on the meds. I checked my weight I could obviously see and feel myself expanding but I have put on five stone. before I Was on the meds My weight had creeped up approx half a stone each year before that. I also read that it can take many months for your metabolism to 'settle down'

I went cold turkey In January and have been off them from then (consult your dr before doing this) i felt so strongly about this that I put up with the side effects all which I feel have gone now. The only problem is my weight is still not shifting. I swim and do my gym session these make me feel fitter but I just would like some advice with any other help I may have missed so far I'm considering doing a very low calorie diet, and also to see if anybody else on here is experiencing or been through a similar situation?

Cheers
How ironic, you put on weight because you wanted to not put it on. Depression is a mindset, one thing it does is relax the body, but puts a lot of pressure on the mind. Try the low calorie diet, do it for a month and see the results.

Ps. Most mental health drugs make a person put on weight.

8 posts