14 year old daughter

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

16 posts
tillysmum

by tillysmum on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm

14 year old daughter

Hi - I'm a mother of a 14 year old daughter. Up until about 6 months ago she was a good eater - she's never had a weight problem but I wouldn't have said she was under weight - more of a slight build. I've become increasingly worried about her over the past few months as she's showing less interest in food, leaving food on her plate and I think she's losing weight.

I know this is a tricky time for girls of this age - adolescence, boys, fashion etc. I could be over worrying but just wondered if there's anyone out there that can identify with this? I don't want to draw attention to it by challenging her or suggesting we go to the doctor - not yet anyway. But if anyone can suggest any subtle ways to help us overcome these small changes before they become something bigger I'd be grateful.

nil26

by nil26 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 am

Re: 14 year old daughter

Sounds like sliding into anorexia. The most common symptoms are maintain body weight such as normal weight for height, body type, age and extreme concern with body weight and shape.

someoneyoudon'tknow

by someoneyoudon'tknow on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 pm

You are right in saying that you don't want to push your daughter, losing a little weight is okay and not an eating disorder. Do watch out for excessive calorie counting (ie weighing out food to the gram), really self-depreciating comments... e.t.c. but don't worry too much. Loads of teenage girls diet at some point, and the majority of them are healthy.

Just make sure that she knows you are there for her if she needs you, and be liberal with the compliments.

tillysmum

by tillysmum on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

Hello somoneyoudon'tknow - thanks for the tips. Really helpful.

she's not making any self deprecating comments and not weighing out food so that's positive. I'm just keeping a close eye and I don't think she's lost anymore weight to be honest. As you say, maybe it's just a teenage phase. But will keep vigilant.

Morse

by Morse on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 am

It shoudln't turn into anorexia.
You can't check whether she throws up after the dinner or not, as far as there are lots of ways to hide it.
You should somehow join her to sport. When she gets sport drive while and before the training, she could get rid of the idea of malnutrition.
Moreover she'll feel the necessity to feed healthy, and she'll lose weight naturally and healthy.
But you shouldn't insist. Girls of 14 are too vulnerable...

claudineriddle

by claudineriddle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

At this age you need to be very cautious while suggesting anything to your daughter. Discuss things in general way. Try few example from your neighborhood to make her aware with the problems she can face in future.

metaslim

by metaslim on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Don't worry. Just ask her about her favorite food. As, age increases, hunger of a person reduces. She should not over eat but give her proper & balanced diet. It is good to have balanced & fit body.
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed - URL's in signatures not permitted

Simallenjo

by Simallenjo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 am

Just relax and talk to her like a friend, and talk with her what she likes to eat, make healthy plus testy food for her...give time, everything will be ok..

sheilmolson

by sheilmolson on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 am

I would like to suggest that you consult to a dietician or doctor as he will help you in curing your daughter's eating problem.

aramintaroxana

by aramintaroxana on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 am

Don't worry this is the age where children likes to eat. But you should to try to keep or guide them not to eat most junk food. Because Junk food creates obesity and also health problem. Give them healthy diet just like green vegetables, fruits, milk etc. Try he/she should drink more water as much as he/she can drink.

16 posts