How do I help my brother gain enough weight?

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

12 posts
zoey1992

by zoey1992 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 pm

How do I help my brother gain enough weight?

My brother is so skinny. He is 20 years old already and he should be on the proper weight now. While reading something from an international dating blog, I saw cases about being skinny where they are more prone to diseases. I don’t want this to happen to my brother. Guys, you need to help me. How do I help my brother gain enough weight? I will really appreciate your responses y’all!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 am

Re: How do I help my brother gain enough weight?

Hi zoey1992,

Welcome to the talkhealth forum and thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the concern you have for your brother's weight. It may be worth contacting your GP or local dietitian who could examine whether your brother is in fact underweight and hopefully help you devise a diet programme and exercise programme to help him build up his weight.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Richa_94

by Richa_94 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am

Hi zoey1992,
Due to the eating disorder, your brother might not be gaining weight, such as lack of calories, nutrition and minerals in his diet. If this is the reason then tell him to include protein, carbohydrate, and fat rich food in his diet along with this weight gaining exercises will also be beneficial.

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”

Jimmybarret

by Jimmybarret on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:19 am

I have same issue that i am facing.I tried too much to get weight but nothing happened. Please help me how i can get weight. My current weight is 55 Kg.

saleem000

by saleem000 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 pm

1. Food intake
It is a clear solution that one should increase the intake of food. It is better to consider it as a process, by starting to eat extra calories in small quantities. Step by step, increase the intake of food and gradually the quantity that a person used to eat. If the individual tries to increase the food intake as quickly as possible, then he/she will not be able to continue it in future. It is important to eat healthy, the person should try not to eat junck food.
2. Carbs and proteins
Protein and carbohydrates are critical for the human body. Protein helps to increase muscle strength and size. It is important to increase muscle when a person is gaining weight. Add carbohydrates to the diet to increase the fats in the body. The combination of fat and muscles will help in increasing the weight. In proteins, take fish, mutton, beef, and chicken. In carbohydrates, eat potato, vegetables, beans and bread. But, there should be proper check and balance on what the person is eating. It is better to consult the nutritionist, before taking carbohydrates and fats.
3. More weight
Working out is very important for the people who want to gain weight. The person should increase the weight lifting ability, to increase the muscle size. Putting effort at the gym is important and worthwhile. The muscles need to be trained; the body can expand and increase the capacity in correlation to the weight the person lifts. It is favorable to do compound muscle exercises, which focus on a group of muscles. Hence, according to this more muscles are concentrated in this manner.
4. Rest
The body needs rest because it takes time for the muscles to reshape and grow. Resting is part of the workout process, so sleep for the optimum time, it can be helpful to gain weight. If a person continues to use the muscle, it causes muscle fatigue, and the muscle size starts to decrease. When a person is trying to increase their weight, they do not want to risk their muscle size. Hence, rest whenever there is time, and it will help in increasing the body weight.
5. Enjoy the process
It is imperative to enjoy the whole process because the individual does not have to compromise their diet by restricting themselves from eating delicious and tempting food. Eating can be fun if a person tries to make the best out of it. Skinny people can have the best body shape if they work towards it. It is better to increase the muscle size and achieve the required weight, than increase weight with fats. Also, make the whole process a lifestyle than making it a one-time thing, workout for the psychological satisfaction, not to force oneself.

OldWays3

by OldWays3 on Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Your brother needs a calorie surplus. Start it normally to feed more than four times a day. This should help. You can also send him to the army. There this problem will be solved.

kkristy48

by kkristy48 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:19 am

These are the way to gain weight safely:
1.Eat protein to gain muscle
2.Add calorie-dense foods to your meals
3.Use milk powder to increase the calories in your recipes
4.Eat healthy oils and fats
5.Include treats in your diet more often
6.Eat comfort foods while you're sick
7.Keep calorie-dense snacks on hand
Last edited by talkhealth on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed

RalphMcDonald

by RalphMcDonald on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 am

Being skinny can represent as many health problems to one. If someone is skinny, they might not be getting the required nutrients for healthy skin, bones, and hair. There are various reasons to become underweight or skinny like history of family, mental and physical illness, high metabolism. So there are different methods to gain healthful weight.

While there comes a word to gain or lose weight is directly related to the diet plan. Following a healthful diet, nutritious calorie-dense foods can work. Adding high protein and whole grain snacks can help to gain weight. Eating several times throughout a day is also beneficial.

katebrownell

by katebrownell on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Dry dates, milk, sugar, clarified butter, peanut butter these heal in weight gain. Take a healthy breakfast and also banana shake in breakfast. These are some food habits to gain weight.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:25 pm

zoey1992 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 pm
My brother is so skinny. He is 20 years old already and he should be on the proper weight now. While reading something from an international dating blog, I saw cases about being skinny where they are more prone to diseases. I don’t want this to happen to my brother. Guys, you need to help me. How do I help my brother gain enough weight? I will really appreciate your responses y’all!
Not entirely, being more prone to illnesses depends, and putting on weight depends on his bodies health system. Food intake, diets, lifestyle, etc. Being fat can also make someone more prone to illnesses. It depends on his health and how he works with it and what he does for his bodies progression.

12 posts