do I have a mild eating disorder ?

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

9 posts
torimg24

by torimg24 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 pm

do I have a mild eating disorder ?

Hi there,
Im looking for some impartial and unbiased advice and opinions.
Im 21 years old and around a year ago my weight dropped from 10 stone 3 to 9 stone without particularly trying, and ive never had an issue with my weight but felt I was wuite curvy for 5'4. However when this weught dropped off of me I began to desire to lose more weight and started calorie counting every day. I am now 8stone 4 and in the mirror I constantly think I look chubby although my boyfriend, his family and my family have all told me I look too skinny.
If my boyfriend or mum brings my weight or eating up I get very defensive and irritable as I believe there isnothing wrong with me because im now a size 8 with a size 4 waist and my friends always tell me how skinny and great I look.
I calorie count every single thing that I eat every day and try to aim below my daily calorie allowance. I wont eat anything without knowing how many calories are in it and if I do go over my allowance at the weekends I will make sure I eat well under in order to even the calories out. Im so scared of outting on weight and usuakky think about it. If im hungry when ive already eaten my allowance ill try and ignore it and I usualky weigh and measure myself. Me and my boyfriend have sex once every few months compared to every week when I was heavier as im never interested at all and he feels my eating comes between us. I also binge at the weekends and feel very guilty afterwards. Can anyone help advise me if I should seek help ? Im just scared and dont want to hear if there is something psychological occuring. Thank you.

willieTK

by willieTK on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: do I have a mild eating disorder ?

I feel that they are just looking out for you. If you do not feel that you have an eating disorder but they do, you might just want to consider where they are coming from as you are important to them.

Sally Heep

by Sally Heep on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:19 am

Anorexia Nervosa -
Self-esteem overly related to body image.Inability to appreciate the severity of the situation.Intense fear of weight gain, obsession with weight and persistent behavior to prevent weight gain.
Inadequate food intake leading to a weight that is clearly too low.

If you think someone you care about has anorexia, it’s important to have them evaluated by a doctor right away.
However, with treatment, most people with anorexia will gain back the weight they lost, and the physical problems they developed as a result of the anorexia will get better.

ChristineMoore

by ChristineMoore on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 am

I agree that maybe you have a anorexia nervosa which is it isn't really about food. It's an unhealthy way to try to cope with emotional problems. When you have anorexia nervosa, you often equate thinness with self-worth. With proper treatment and support, you or someone you care about can break anorexia’s self-destructive pattern and regain health and self-confidence. You may consider consulting a professional with regards to this problem.

ajearley

by ajearley on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:13 pm

While I can't say for certain whether or not you actually have an eating disorder, I do think that you are more obsessed with food than you should be, to a somewhat unhealthy extent. From my own personal experience, that's how I slowly but surely developed an eating disorder, and also how I relapsed... twice. I lost a little bit of weight for whatever reason, got hooked on it, became more and more obsessive about what I ate until one day I was back down at the bottom of the rabbit hole. Now I can recognize the signs and stop it before it gets that far, but it took some time. I would definitely recommend seeking out a counselor or support group, in my experience these are the most gentle and understanding forms of help, and that's what I needed. Understanding, not accusation. It sounds like you might be in the same boat...
AJ
Mental Health & Nutrition Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:56 am

Thank you for the advice.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

arvbuttar

by arvbuttar on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Sally Heep wrote:Anorexia Nervosa -
Self-esteem overly related to body image.Inability to appreciate the severity of the situation.Intense fear of weight gain, obsession with weight and persistent behavior to prevent weight gain.
Inadequate food intake leading to a weight that is clearly too low.

If you think someone you care about has anorexia, it’s important to have them evaluated by a doctor right away.
However, with treatment, most people with anorexia will gain back the weight they lost, and the physical problems they developed as a result of the anorexia will get better.
Hi,
Great advice. You might have an Anorexia Nervosa disorder so you should visit to doctor ASAP.
Thanks.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:26 pm

There is nothing wrong with being cautious. I would recommend that you do what you need to do to put on weight if that is what you need to do. Have time for you, and time to relax in terms of what you eat. If you eat a lot of fats, you can always do some cardio to lower calories.

9 posts