Exercising with Asthma

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

11 posts
rackham18

by rackham18 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Exercising with Asthma

Hi all!

I am new to this site, so I hope people can help me!
I am nearly 22 years old and I have been a dancer since I was very young.

I have just been recently diagnosed with Asthma and my attacks or difficulties are brough on my execising, so I am finding it very difficult to maintain and its brough my fitness levels down. Has anybody got any advice on how I can maintain my syptoms and still build up dance training? I am very worried and don't want it to stop me but I dont want to do myself harm!

Hope I get some responses, thanks for reading :).

Lauren

x

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Exercising with Asthma

Yoga sounds like a great idea, for asthma & general health. What type of yoga do they do and how often?

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

karissasmith

by karissasmith on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:08 pm

I agree, Yoga is the great idea for controlling asthma as many peoples are getting control over their asthma by doing Yoga. Also, you can try some home based therapy like "Salt room therapy" using simple Halotherapy devices easy to get from stores like "salinetherapy". This therapy really proved helpful for getting control over the asthma.

online10

by online10 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Activities that involve short, intermittent periods of exertion, such as volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, and wrestling, are generally well tolerated by people with symptoms of asthma.

Sandra_James

by Sandra_James on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:17 am

Exercise is a common trigger for asthma symptoms. Many people with asthma may experience difficulty breathing, coughing, wheezing, or chest tightness during or after exercise.

People with asthma may be more sensitive to extremes in temperature, dry air, allergens, and pollution. At rest, breathing through the nose moistens, warms, and filters air before it gets into the lungs. With exercise, most people breathe through their mouth, which may trigger asthma symptoms, so people exercising with asthma may feel better breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. People with asthma should not overexert themselves, as this may trigger asthma symptoms. Consistent exercise is generally better tolerated, but patients with asthma should stop exercising for significant symptoms.

Here are some good tips for exercising with asthma:

Warm up first.
Try to breathe through the nose as much as possible.
Wear a scarf or mask over the nose and mouth in cold weather.
Avoid outdoor exercise when pollen counts are high if allergies are present with asthma.
Avoid exercising outdoors if air pollution is high.
Do not exercise when sick.
Include a cool-down routine after exercise.
Do not overexert during exercise.
Carry an albuterol inhaler for rescue if needed.

JGranger

by JGranger on Wed May 16, 2018 12:05 am

I am don't know if this will help or not but i also suffer from asthma. I am a runner and carry an inhaler with me. One thing i did to help my symptoms was increase my nutritional therapy. I try to eat whole foods and take a Nutrition supplement that maximizes absorption rate. I can give you some additional information if you would like.

johnherron

by johnherron on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:27 am

Activities that involve long periods of effort, such as soccer, running, playing basketball, may be less well tolerated. Also, cold-weather sports, such as ice hockey, ice-skating, may pose challenges. Thus many people with asthma are not able to participate fully in these activities.

Exercise indoors in cold weather or wear a mask or scarf over your nose and mouth
don’t do exercise when you have a viral infection, like a cold.

Exercise at a level that is appropriate for you.

arvbuttar

by arvbuttar on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm

talkhealth wrote:Yoga sounds like a great idea, for asthma & general health. What type of yoga do they do and how often?

Helen
Hi,
I agree, Yoga is the best idea for asthma. It also offers other health benefits like relief stress etc.
Thanks

healthcare8055

by healthcare8055 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:41 pm

start your day with cardio exercises, it helps.

11 posts