Hello

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

7 posts
Steve

by Steve on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello

Hi - I'm Steve and new to this forum. I've never really suffered with any mental health problems before - that was until I was made redundant. I've been out of work now for over 2 months and it's really getting me down. My wife thinks I'm depressed and keeps trying to get me to see a doctor. But I'm not sure this will really help. I'm hoping I can find others to talk to - people who perhaps are in the same boat as me - lost their job and finding it really hard to stay upbeat. I'm luckier than most I guess as my wife works so although we have money coming in we are getting behind on a few of our bills and this is causing me real anxiety. I've never been in this situation before.

Anyway, that's me - well a bit about me for now.

Steve

talkhealth talk

by talkhealth talk on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Re: Hello

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a tough time. You are not alone though and hopefully through this forum you and others in a similar situation will be able to support and advise each other through this challenging time.

Thanks for sharing.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

DeebyLeicestershire

by DeebyLeicestershire on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Steve
Sorry u are having a rough time, I too lost my job recently and am suffering with depression, however my MH problems have been with me for all of my adult life and much of my childhood. I am on medication and have had tons of therapy.
What I will say is have a chat with your GP, don't be afraid to ask for help. Mind is a fantastic MH charity who have a campaign called Time to Change and are trying to end the stigma of poor mental health. Did u see a programme on the tv last nigh called The Hidden Side Of Sport. It was a great illustration of how even those who seem to have it all, sportsmen and women at the top of their game, can suffer with depression. The most important thing is you are not alone! Things will get better and the is no shame in asking for a bit of help. Being open on this forum is a great start well done!
It's a crappy time of year too, which I find affects my mood. At the moment it's a good day if I make it out of the bedroom by 2pm. Today was a great day I spent the afternoon with my niece and nephew playing Lego !
Stay strong and keep talking
Deeby

Steve

by Steve on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Deeby - thanks for the chat - I think you're right in that taking the step to admit I'm struggling a bit is a start.

Like you I try to do something positive each day - from sending out a CV to paying a bill or just getting through the day without worrying too much.

Hopefully this forum will help - I've agreed with my wife that I'll give this a go and if I don't feel better in a couple of weeks I will see my GP. Being here is comforting to know that I'm not alone and the fact that others have longer term problems than me helps put mine into persepective.

Hope to talk to you again + others who join in this forum.

Steve

peaches1001

by peaches1001 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear about your situation.....
My partner was made redundant and then after trying to sell his house, went into severe depression. But he has ongoing issues with GAD (general anxiety disorder/depression), so his is slightly different to yours.

In regard to you not working, depending on what your work was or what else you are really good at, have you thought of working from home, in a self-employed way. Even if it is not your normal job profession but just one of your hobbies, it might be the way forward.
It does help to try and think of this as an opportunity (although it might not feel like it at the moment) and use it to try and work as self-employed or perhaps go to some of the free courses that are offered by the colleges and schools in your area.

It is true that you are fortunate that your wife is employed but I also know that it is important for your own self-respect that you want to be working. Contacting the local job centre will give you leads to other offices for becoming a self-starter or self-employed etc.

I know that depression is very debilitating, especially when all you want to do is stay in bed and sleep but if you find that you are constantly going over the same questions in your mind about your problems, the best way to solve them is literally that: Write down all the questions that are bugging you and then find the answers and write them beside the original question. That way, you can re-read the answers and you will find that the questions will stop being so nagging in your mind.

Also, if you find you are constantly doing the 'moaning and groaning' bit about your situation whenever you speak to anyone, be it on the phone or face to face, before you start to speak, 'put a smile on your face'. You will find that you aren't able to speak in the same depressing way because the smile on your face won't let you.

I know these tactics sound easy on paper and you might find that it takes some doing on your part but I really hope you can persevere with them and I wish you every success with these and with getting either a new job or a new start at self-employed.
You never know what you can do until you try. :) :D ;) and I wish you the very best.

Steve

by Steve on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello peaches 1001 - thanks for your post and for your great ideas. Seems like you've been through things with your partern - bit like my wife.

Funny you should say about working for myself. It's not something I'd ever thougth about until a friend said the very same thing to me a couple of weeks ago - hence the gap in being in this forum as i've been exploring opportunties. Like you said, I've been trying (well most days anyway) to see my situation as an opportunity for something better to happen in my life - the old 'everything happens for a reason' saying. And I think there could be something in it. So much so that I've been busy looking at options and it's had a very positive effect in the main. In a funny kind of way I've not had as much time to feel depressed.

I'll keep you posted as there are a couple of things i'm looking at - dont' want to say too much at the moment.

but thanks again for your help ... how is your partner now by the way?

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi steve,

How are you getting on? Did you manage to find work? Being out of work can be really tough. I finished my degree and couldn't get any work and i felt so low, like i had wasted the last 3 years of my life on a qualification that couldn't get me a job but things do pick up!

7 posts