Challenging a previous diagnosis

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
LondonLass

by LondonLass on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Challenging a previous diagnosis

I have had a lifetime of mental health difficulties (over 25 years) and a few years ago, after a difficult period in my life, I really wanted to get an official diagnosis as I hadn't had any proper assessment before and I desperately needed help. Unfortunately I was so desperate for a diagnosis and, by that point, so anxious and people-pleasing, that I accepted the first diagnosis I was given (which wasn't even a proper diagnosis - "mixed personality disorder", which is what they give you if they can't diagnose you with a particular PD because you don't fit any of their categories).
I spent two years in group therapy which was a living hell, but every time I tried to leave I was told "this is what we've decided is right for you - you're just not trying hard enough". In the end I left anyways because it was upsetting and stressing me out even more!

A year later and I've just about recovered from my ordeal, and as time has gone on I've realised that this "diagnosis" isn't relevant at all, especially after meeting other people with the same or similar diagnoses. However, ever time I've brought it up with my GP, to ask to be referred to a psychiatrist for assessment, I'm fobbed off and told no. I was referred by a previous GP but was classed as being "low priority" and kept getting bumped down the list for an appointment with the psychiatrist.

I have finally had enough of my current GP and I am changing my surgery, but how do I approach getting a reassessment? I am a really shy, reserved person, very anxious and people-pleasing and I hate confrontation or feeling like I'm "acting out" (I'm pretty much convinced my current GP has labelled me a "hysterical hormonal woman" because that's how I'm treated). I have lost all faith in the NHS with regards to mental health support, but I can't afford to go private as I've not been able to work for the last 5 years.

I am coming up to my ESA review at the end of the year and I am terrified, because I don't have a supportive GP to back me up in my request to stay in the Support group, and I'm not currently accessing any other service (I have in fact TWICE requested through TWO different channels to be referred for more therapy, if only so I can actually talk to someone who might be able to help) but absolutely nothing has come of it. I tried accessing local charity service like MIND but their provisions were useless - I don't need to do gardening or pottery classes, I need some actual help!

I suppose this is a rant as well as a plea for help - I feel like I'm split in two, with my "day to day" persona looking fine from a distance but inside I'm running around screaming in terror about my future. Thanks if you've gotten this far, and thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Re: Challenging a previous diagnosis

Hi LondonLass

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you have lost confidence in your current GP and the NHS in relation to your mental health struggles. Changing GP surgeries may be a good opportunity to start with a clean slate with a GP. Don't be afraid to ask for any referral you think may help you, keep a diary of your day to day struggles and make a time line of your mental health issues to date and take this with you, that way if you get overwhelmed at your appointment you can hand the GP your notes so they can get a better idea of the way you want to proceed.

At talkhealth we have a mental wellbeing support programme you can register forhttp://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/psp/ as well as the mental health forum https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/f ... .php?f=111. We are also currently running a mental wellbeing - anxiety http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nxiety.php, ask the expert seminar where you can put your questions to Jayne Ellis and Teyhou Smyth who will be kindly joining us to give advice on coping with anxiety and tips on self-management. They will be answering questions on Thursday 20 September but the clinic is open now for you to post your questions in advance. If you feel this would be of help please do engage.

Do let me know how you get on with your new GP.

Kind regards and best wishes
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts