Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Hello,

I find this forum extremely useful - I hope it will be of use to others. I ask specifically because I am 66yo and I realise most users will be younger and in need of the general advice - plus they may find websites and directions helpful. For me, not much.

I’d be interested to hear any comments on psychoanalytic psychotherapy for a woman of my age - although that number may fit my biological time, it doesn’t fit how I appear to others nor does it suit mind and personality. The professional advice I’ve been given is that this therapy is the only kind to suit me - and it will take a long time. I believe it but I wonder if you could give me your insights into what I am about to start - very willingly - but….. I’m desperate to get better. Asap. I need every bit of hope - but realism. I have a long history - but I’d like to live the rest of it a lot better.

Thank you very much!

Best wishes

Kay
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

snoozy12

by snoozy12 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Dear Kay,
You don't say much about your difficulties so it's difficult to advise whether psychoanalytic psychotherapy would be a good fit.
I can only speak from my experience which is that psychoanalytic psychotherapy was a disaster. I I entered it very young and remained for 10 years. That I stayed for so long is by some considerable margin the greatest regret of my life.
You say you have been advised that this is the only treatment likely to be effective. I wonder who it is that has given this advice. Is it someone you trust? Someone who knows you well? Someone who is impartial?
If you have been told this by a potential therapist I would be very suspicious indeed. My psychotherapist was adamant that only psychoanalysis would be effective, she was so very wrong. Indeed who among us can predict the future? A clinician can say "the evidence tells us that X treatment is most effective for your condition". But they cannot predict what will or won't work for definite. Having to wait a long time before you know whether something is working is also concerning.
I spent 10 years going round in circles, doing my best to be open and to reflect on what the therapist said. I really cannot see that it did me any good at all. On the contrary I know now that I have an anxiety disorder and that CBT is a far superior treatment for this condition.
Your story may be very different to mine and indeed you have a lot more life experience and hopefully more trust in your own instincts! That would probably be my main advice, to trust your instincts: If deep down you want to try psychoanalytic psychotherapy then don't be scared off by my story, I am just one person and your experience may be very different.
But similarly don't take for granted that this is your only option. If you have a diagnosis the NICE guidelines give detailed information about the most effective treatments. They are a bit heavy going , start with the lay summary! Google "which therapy is best for me" or look at this website for an overview https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... g-therapy/
Whatever you go for don't be afraid to ask questions about the therapists approach: from the practicalities - how often? how long? how much will it cost? through the theory - why is it that they are making the suggestions or recommendations that they are? to the evaluative - how would you know if it's working? how would you know if it's not working? Have an idea of what you want to get out of it - a benchmark of your own - what would living better look like to you? How will the therapist help you get there?
You sound really motivated and that's half the battle, the other half is finding something that works for you. I hope that my experience is not too disheartening, although I have not personally had a good experience with psychoanalytic psychotherapy I know of others who have. I also know absolutely that it is not the only option!!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Hi Snoozy12

Thank you for your recent post. It was very open and informative and I hope that our member Kay, found it helpful.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

3 posts