What's the difference between depression and boredom?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

16 posts
MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: What's the difference between depression and boredom?

You've got it down, isabellsophie.

I have suffered depression: and I knew it wasn't boredom. Boredom - for me - is easy to cure. I can listen to a CD or watch a comedy DVD. I can read a book. I can write happy poems. I can go out for walk in the fresh air... the list goes on. But when I'm depressed, those things only help temporarily. Because the CD ends. The DVD finishes. The book is read. The poem lasts a very short while and then I have to walk home. And I'm back where I started.

Depression clouds your day and takes your enthusisiam and happiness out the window. You can follow all the tips to look on the bright side and try to be happy, but those tips don't work for depression. I can't make things better.

My mind is a hard, complex thing to understand. And others with depression are the same. Depression makes you feel isolated and loses your motivation. And people think you're lazy or that you can't be bothered to try. They're wrong. I can be bothered to try but these feelings they'll never understand. They will offer the usual advice: go out for a walk, get fresh air, watch a comedy DVD. But you can do all those things and still need pushing.

isabellsophie

by isabellsophie on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:33 am

Boredom is simply a state of mind in which the person is not excited by his / her surroundings mentally. This leaves them to do some job unmotivated. How is it impacting our lives, then?
Boredom can be harmful to your well-being at times. But Shane Bench revealed in On The Role Of Boredom that boredom is important for new ambitions to be pursued and makes people more imaginative. In such situations, persons that are susceptible to boredom actually do better than average people. For grief, the same can not be said.
In despair, rather than attempting to enhance their performance, a person performs poorly. you would not feel an incentive to do so. It is often followed by low self-esteem and low energy, leaving the person vulnerable to tiredness. Without a physical cause, people with depression often feel discomfort.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:45 pm

You've got it 100% right, isabellsophie.

scilover

by scilover on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:30 am

James Danckert, Ph.D., a professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Waterloo, found that individuals exceedingly inclined to boredom perform ineffectively on assignments that require supported consideration, and are more likely to appear expanded side effects of both ADHD and depression (Experimental Brain Research, 2012)

grindwalter

by grindwalter on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Depression is a serious condition in which someone feels intense sadness that affects their everyday life while boredom is when a person is not mentally stimulated by his surrounding

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:12 pm

There IS big difference between depression and boredom. The two are not the same. A medical professional should be able to spot the difference and know whether their patient is bored or depressed. There are pointers of depression and they must be properly assessed in order for depression to be diagnosed and treated.

16 posts