Amitryptiline and digestive system and weight gain

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
Basten60

by Basten60 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26 pm

Amitryptiline and digestive system and weight gain

I take 50 mg of Amitryptiline plus Agomelatine. My weight has increased so much my stomach is huge and my bust gone up from a 38 to 42!! Has anyone on here managed to lose weight on this?, I also feel its affected my digestive system as it gets so tight around my chest each day. I cant seem to lose weight. Any help welcomed please

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: Amitryptiline and digestive system and weight gain

Hi Basten60,

Thank you for posting on the forum. We have noticed that you have not received any replies to your question regarding Amitryptiline.

Here is what the NHS say about weight gain when taking the drug:
Will I gain or lose weight?

Amitriptyline can change how hungry you feel. Some people feel more hungry when they're taking it - others feel less hungry. So your weight may change when you first start taking it. If you start to have problems with your weight while taking amitriptyline, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
In this case we would suggest talking to your GP via a telephone appointment to discuss what could be done to help you.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Re: Amitryptiline and digestive system and weight gain

Basten60 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26 pm
I take 50 mg of Amitryptiline plus Agomelatine. My weight has increased so much my stomach is huge and my bust gone up from a 38 to 42!! Has anyone on here managed to lose weight on this?, I also feel its affected my digestive system as it gets so tight around my chest each day. I cant seem to lose weight. Any help welcomed please
Some medications make a person put on weight. Its happened with the medication i take often. Olanzapine. Its a mental health drug. I have put on weight and its hard to get rid of it. When i stop taking the medication my weight drops back down and i am my normal size. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about compromise, if it really bothers you.

3 posts