Hi There

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
Arjuna S Wirjamoedja

by Arjuna S Wirjamoedja on Sat May 09, 2020 2:30 am

Hi There

Hi All,

I have been prescribed amitriptyline for neuropathic pain by a neurologist. Initially the doc gave me Lyrica then he switched to gabapentin but neither works. So he prescribed amitriptyline. It is almost two weeks since the visit to the doctor.

I noticed I have constipation now and my appetite has increased. Could this be due to the side effects of "ami" and second will amitriptyline do the job in alleciating the systemic pain.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue May 12, 2020 11:06 am

Re: Hi There

Hi Arjuna S Wirjamoedja,

Thank you for your post. It would seem that constipation is a common side effect. Please find more information here:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amitriptyline-for-pain/

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Re: Hi There

Arjuna S Wirjamoedja wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:30 am
Hi All,

I have been prescribed amitriptyline for neuropathic pain by a neurologist. Initially the doc gave me Lyrica then he switched to gabapentin but neither works. So he prescribed amitriptyline. It is almost two weeks since the visit to the doctor.

I noticed I have constipation now and my appetite has increased. Could this be due to the side effects of "ami" and second will amitriptyline do the job in alleciating the systemic pain.
Pain medication and mental health medication tend to make people more hungry. Well not so much pain medication but its possible. I think you need to speak to your doctor and be honest with them and talk about options.

3 posts