5 Habits You Should Avoid To Get Better Sleep:

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

6 posts
Nguimbola

by Nguimbola on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:50 pm

5 Habits You Should Avoid To Get Better Sleep:

1 - Do not take worries to bed
Concerns of a different nature, thinking about your problems or planning future events when you are in bed tend to keep you awake.
When these thoughts are frequent, a good strategy is to set aside a period during the day, far from falling asleep, for these concerns, finding resolutions and planning events can happen freely.
Having a time of day to focus on these issues will make them occur less frequently while you are in bed. On the other hand, if these intrusive thoughts arise in bed, you know that you can postpone them until the next day.
It is important to know that an occasional night with less sleep quality is not a cause for concern. In fact, sleeping less hours on a given night can increase the so-called pressure for sleep, leading to an improvement in the quality of sleep on subsequent nights.

2 - If you can't sleep don't lie in bed
If it takes more than 20 minutes to fall asleep in the early evening, or after a night awakening, get out of bed and do some relaxing activity outside the room. When you feel sleepy, go back to bed again.
One of the most important activities to eliminate when you are in bed is trying to sleep. This conscious attempt inevitably leads to a state of alertness and disrupts the natural sleep process.
If you find yourself thinking too much about not being able to sleep or other things, get up. Get out of bed and go do something that gives you pleasure. It can be a hobby or anything else you have always wanted to do and never had the time. This way, you will not feel that it was useless to stay awake. When you are sleepy go back to bed, but get up at your usual time, do not prolong the time in bed in the morning.

3 - Don't look at your watch at night
• Place your watch away from the bed, turn it over, lower its brightness and do not see the time in the middle of the night.
If you have the alarm clock set for the time you need to get up, you do not need to know what time it is until the alarm rings.
Being aware of the time during the night is also an activating mechanism for our brain activity and can increase frustration at not being able to sleep.

4 - Do not take a nap during the day and if you cannot sleep at night
If you have difficulty falling asleep at night, you should not take a nap.
Sleeping outside the night can decrease the "pressure" for sleep and advance the time when you will feel sleepy at night. Taking a nap is the strategy that is used, but for those who cannot sleep at night, for example, because they have to work during the night.

5 - Do not eat heavy meals near bedtime
A heavy meal, close to bedtime, can lead to malaise or reflux during the night, fragmenting and disturbing your sleep.
During sleep, there is a decrease in the activity of our digestive system.
However, you should also not be hungry when you lie down. If so, a light meal may be appropriate. But avoid liquids at night as this will increase the likelihood of waking up to go to the bathroom.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed May 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Re: 5 Habits You Should Avoid To Get Better Sleep:

I agree 100% with this post. Expert advice. I shall be using it myself!

Because I have found myself waking up at 2am/3am every night. I just get up, have a glass of water and sit in my bedroom until I fall asleep again. When I do wake up again it is around 6 - 7am. However, I fall back to sleep again and don't wake up until 10am. An odd sleep pattern, but there you go.

As for napping: I don't nap often, but there are times I do. However, I have no actual problem falling asleep at 11:30 at night. I fall asleep virtually within 3 to 5 minutes.

Again, expert advice.

Daniel brannum

by Daniel brannum on Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:56 am

Sleep is important for an improved well being. I used to sleep for straight 7-8 hours everyday but as responsibilities and other factors came into our life, sleep gets disrupted. It is important to maintain better sleep practices to avoid any health issues. I now sleep around 4-5 hours which is making me dizzy sometimes but there are days where I go overboard for 10 hours and so. I was still tired after waking up. Only to my realization did I find that sleep apnea was the root cause. I am in CPAP therapy for over 4 years now and it has been hoot to be honest. I am very refreshed and feel energetic after the sleep. Even if we practice better sleep and sleep for more duration these diseases can take place. It is important that you keep in mind to get regular checkups if something doesn't feel right.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:12 pm

I definitely am glad to be able to fall asleep at night.

lookharper6@gmail.com

by lookharper6@gmail.com on Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:45 am

Here I tell you 5 habits that you should avoid sleeping better are;

1. Avoid alcohol.
2. Avoid eating snacks at night.
3. Decrease your screen timing.
4. Avoid caffeine.

hundalmarck@gmail.com

by hundalmarck@gmail.com on Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:46 am

Avoid eating heavy food late at night.