can citalopram be stopped and replaced by over the counter d

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
featherfoofer

by featherfoofer on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:01 am

can citalopram be stopped and replaced by over the counter d

Hello, I am currently on two meds- femodine and citalopram (20g). Although I've been on both for a long time and am a healthy young adult, my gp wants to see me every 2-3 months, although to be honest I don't ever get to actually meet my gp. It is extremely hard for me to get time off work as my surgery is only open during my working hours and although I explain to each doctor I go to see that there is no point to get me out of work for a five minute visit to just ask me whether I'm doing ok they are still doing it! Sometimes I go without pills for 4 days before I get a chance to see them. I'm very happy on femodine and although thinking about reducing citalopram to 10 mg I'm doing very well on it also. Would it be ok to stop taking both and replace citalopram with st John's wort and the pill with condoms? Both of which can be easily bought in the shop or online.

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:05 am

Re: can citalopram be stopped and replaced by over the count

Dear featherfoofer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your message. I can understand your frustrations and your question whether to replace your prescribed medications with alternatives. With antidepressant therapy, I am sure you can appreciate that your GP wants to make sure the medication is still suitable for your needs.

Your suggestions seem reasonable enough, however I would recommend you discuss these options with your GP before stopping the prescribed medication.

As an alternative to the pill, there are long acting forms of contraception, such as the injection, implant and coil, all of which are reversible. The injection is given 3 monthly, implant every 3 years and the coil can stay in situ for 5 years if there are no problems. As you can see, there are alternatives there for you. If you would like more options on these, the NHS choices website has some useful information. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contracept ... plant.aspx

St John's wort is a herbal treatment that some people take for depression. It is available from health food shops and pharmacies and there is some evidence that it can help to treat mild to moderate depression. It doesn't mix very well with other medicines, so if you did want to start using this I would strongly recommend discussing how St John's wort can affect your other medicines with your local pharmacist.

I hope this information helps,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts