sinus infection

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

5 posts
hammy-dh

by hammy-dh on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:05 am

sinus infection

I have had a sinus infection for 9 weeks or so had anti biotics and steroids which made me feel very depressed , I have chronic depression as it is , is there anything I can use instead of these , I am better than I was just wont clear proper , had this last February took 3 months to clear , thank you

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:39 am

Re: sinus infection

Dear hammy-dh,

I am sorry to hear you have a sinus infection. The treatments you have described are commonly used to treat this type of infection and I would recommend continuing with them as best you can. If you do decide you want to stop taking them, please do inform your doctor.

The steroids you mention, are they tablets to take or in the form of a nasal spray? Often steroid nasal sprays can be prescribed by the doctor to help treat long term sinus problems, perhaps this would be more agreeable to you? By providing more local relief, the steroids reduce the inflammation in the sinus passageways, helping to keep the problem at bay. Perhaps you could have a review appointment with your doctor to see if this could be of use?

I would also recommend using a sinus rinse (nasal irrigation), which you can buy from most pharmacies. It consists of a specially designed bottle which you fill with saline sachets and use to irrigate the sinus passageways. Although this may be difficult to use, it has been beneficial to patients with chronic sinus problems.

Good luck,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

hammy-dh

by hammy-dh on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:33 pm

hi thanks Justine steroids was tablets , had a spray in February and it stung my sinus real bad ,
well pop back to see doctor finished all tablets starting to get sore again
dave

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 am

Good luck Dave, let me know how you get on when you see the doctor again.

In the meantime I would recommend the sinus/ nasal irrigation with saline. Specially designed packs are available from pharmacies. Many of my patients find the irrigation really useful for helping their sinuses.

Kind regards,
Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

hammy-dh

by hammy-dh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 pm

hi Justine
I have been given steroid drops ,
1 drop 3 times a day each side
it is helping have to go back 2nd week in January