Antidpressants

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
Anthony45

by Anthony45 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Antidpressants

Hi I have just been put on Citalopram 20mg one daily but also on Amitriptyline 10mg at night because of restless leg I also take Atorvastatin 40mg and Omeprazole 20mg paracetamol 500mg 1 or 2 4 times daily and naproxen 250mg 3 times daily. Can you take the citalopram and amitriptyline as are both antidepressants. I also had an L5/S1 spinal fusion with metal work 3 years ago.
Many thanks Anthony Swain

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: Antidpressants

Dear Anthony,

thank you for your post.

The combined use of citalopram and amitriptyline is not advised. Whilst the strength of amitriptyline you are taking is very low, I also cannot find any evidence to support the use of amitriptyline for the treatment of restless legs as you have stated you take it for in your post.

Because of the information detailed above, I would advise you make an appointment with your GP to review all of your medicines to ensure that you are receiving the most effective therapies for your conditions.

Your local pharmacist will also be happy to discuss any concerns you have with your medicines in the pharmacy. An annual medicines use review (MUR) will take around 15 minutes and include all aspects of your medicines usage, health and lifestyle and can further support your GP discussion.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts